Question about channel numbers (re: The List and MIRROR channels)

sofakng

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
I'm looking at the The List (ie. Dish Network subscription channels) and I noticed that it contains channel numbers and then mirror and remap channel numbers. I'm still a little confused what they mean.

For example, all channels in the 4000's seem to be mirrors. What does these actually mean or do?

For ease of use, channels are "Mirrored" or put into another place. They do not take up more Satellite space, it's like using a link.
So for instance, to get all the local channels together, and in sequence, while your CBS channel may be on the satellite with all the locals in the 5000 range, you don't want to remember you have to go to 5083 for it. You want to go to channel "3" (or wherever it is in your location) Because there are other local CBS channel "3's" this is a way to do it. So for your location, they Mirror or link from 5083 to channel "3" (in my example) so that when you pick channel 3 you get your channel.

Same for grouping like programming.

The mirrored channel is really the same channel but with a virtual channel number, much like digital TV uses virtual channel numbers, except satellite channels can be virtualized multiple times.

That channel is really only on one frequency on the satellite transponder but through digital coding it can be made to appear on many channels.

It has to do with the neighborhood concept. Dish Latino packages have English channels mapped to the 800's so those subs don't have to go hunting in the 100-400 numbers. Also, some people don't want to use the HD mapdown channel as they prefer the 4 digit HD true channel number as it can eliminate confusion when they still use the SD channels in the 3 digit area for recording a number of shows such as the kids cartoons or talking head interview shows. I myself used to get confused and get SD when I wanted HD using the map-downs, so with the four digit there is no possibility of accidentally recording SD. The Big Ten Alternates are listed right beneath the Big 10 channel ONLY in the 9000 range and not in the 400's, so I have my favorites set to view from there for Big 10.

Also, there is a legacy of when the ONLY place where the HD channels resided were in the 9000's for some years (the mapdowns were added about 3 years ago?), and Dish does not want to upset some subs who still prefer that arrangement and may even have timers set to the 9000's. I couldn't get my family off the 240's for our locals after the 2-6X mapdowns were offered, and they only made the switch after Dish deleted the locals at 240's. Some people don't like change.

Now, some people use the locks feature to lock out what SD equivalents of the HD channels they get so they always access and record HD no matter what, another no possible way to record SD, but it does create a bit of a hassle as you have to enter the password each time you want to erase a recording.

In short, everyone is different and has their preferred neighborhood for SD's and HD's and if Dish were to take one away right now, yeah, it would piss-off some people and their timers would not fire.

However, a coming software download will offer a feature to solve the problem. It is essentially the same feature currently in use for Local into Locals that you can select which of the neighborhoods you want displayed and which you don't for the 100's to 9000's. No more using the slightly annoying Locks feature.

Last edited:
I still don't understand why they make this so idiotic. Why not just display the mirrored, or simpler channels in the guide?

If your local channels are in both sd and HD, they cannot be using the same channel number, mapping allows them to not only be grouped together, but also be shown at their channel number so they can be grouped with ota should you have that set up. The same is true with the national HD channels (of course they do not have local designations) to be seen along side of the sd channel with the main reasoning being you don't have to remember sd channel numbers and HD channels number. The great thing is that those who don't want to use the mapping can go to the local channels setup screen in the menu and shut it off.

Dish's New Satellite

VIP 722 DVR Database

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)