Question about 522 & RecordPlus

syphix

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
Minnesota, USA
I played around a bit with a 522 on display at a local retailer, and I'm thinking of taking the plunge. Now, before all the "anti-Dish" rants begin, let me preface this by saying: I have TiVo AND ReplayTV right now. I enjoy both, but I'm not married to either one. Also, why the hell are "anti-Dishers" even here on this forum if not to troll??

Okay...my question about 522 and RecordPlus: if I set it up to default record on TV2, what will happen if it's busy at that time? Will it shift over to recording it on TV1? Is there conflict resolution on this at all?

Yes, it will switch to TV1. No biggie.
If you set a timer for something when BOTH 1 and 2 already have timers, then you'll get a conflict resolution asking if you want to delete either 1 or 2.

I highly recommend you try the 522. Sure, you don't get the Season Pass (but it'll be close when they impliment NBR soon), and there are a few bugs, but I LOVE it. Check it out!

No problem! Rock on!!

(I can't believe Tivo and Replay don't have this!)
...And look on the forums for the 'home media server' (or something like that!) for the 522 - it'll turn the box into even MORE of a "video server" with the addition of mp3's and streaming video from your computer. Scott did a whole write-up on it. Hopefully it'll appear soon!

Maybe I'm missing something....but....my DVD player does that already with CDRW's....with, like, 700mb worth of mp3's/jpegs for less than a dime. Now, if I could hook a wifi AP up to it, or a usb->ethernet adaptor and STREAM from my PC, THAT'D be a cool trick!;)

syphix said:
Okay...my question about 522 and RecordPlus: if I set it up to default record on TV2, what will happen if it's busy at that time? Will it shift over to recording it on TV1? Is there conflict resolution on this at all?
It will switch to TV1 if TV1 is available, but ONLY at the time you schedule the event, not at actual record time.

Scenerio 1: On Monday you schedule something to record on Wednesday at 7pm. Both TV1 and TV2 are currently available at that time, so your new event schedule falls to the default, TV2. Still on Monday, you schedule another program to record at the same time on Wednesday, but on a different channel. That second scheduling will realize that default TV2 is unavailable and move over to TV1 automatically. If you now try to schedule a THIRD event for 7pm on Wednesday, you'll get a conflict resolution screen.

Scenerio 2: On Monday you schedule something to record on Wednesday. Neither of your tuners have anything currently scheduled for Wednesday, so this new event you're scheduling falls to TV2 by default. Come Wednesday, at the scheduled event time, you happen to be using TV2, but TV1 is still free. The scheduled event will NOT switch over to TV1. It will interrupt you on TV2 and notify you that a scheduled event is about to occur.

In computer programming lingo, this is analogous to making a decision at compile time vs. runtime.

haertig said:
It will switch to TV1 if TV1 is available, but ONLY at the time you schedule the event, not at actual record time.

Scenerio 1: On Monday you schedule something to record on Wednesday at 7pm. Both TV1 and TV2 are currently available at that time, so your new event schedule falls to the default, TV2. Still on Monday, you schedule another program to record at the same time on Wednesday, but on a different channel. That second scheduling will realize that default TV2 is unavailable and move over to TV1 automatically. If you now try to schedule a THIRD event for 7pm on Wednesday, you'll get a conflict resolution screen.

Scenerio 2: On Monday you schedule something to record on Wednesday. Neither of your tuners have anything currently scheduled for Wednesday, so this new event you're scheduling falls to TV2 by default. Come Wednesday, at the scheduled event time, you happen to be using TV2, but TV1 is still free. The scheduled event will NOT switch over to TV1. It will interrupt you on TV2 and notify you that a scheduled event is about to occur.

In computer programming lingo, this is analogous to making a decision at compile time vs. runtime.
Excellent...that's about how I actually expected it to work.

So, basically, if I set it to record on TV2 by default, and always setup recordings using TV1's remote, I should never have to intervene and select a TV to record on? It'll automatically go to TV1 if TV2 is busy at the requested time, but ask me to intervene if TV1 is also busy? Right?

I'm used to TiVo and ReplayTV, so I never watch live TV anymore anyway. Now, to get my fiance hooked on never having to watch live TV again...THAT'S the job now! ;):D

syphix said:
So, basically, if I set it to record on TV2 by default, and always setup recordings using TV1's remote, I should never have to intervene and select a TV to record on? It'll automatically go to TV1 if TV2 is busy at the requested time, but ask me to intervene if TV1 is also busy? Right?
Correct, and you got it right that you have to use the TV1 remote. The TV2 remote will always set the timer to record on TV2 no matter what RecordPlus is set to.

DVI cable recommendation

Another 811 bug or did E* Change PPV?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)