QS1080IR Receiver Review

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MikeI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2004
More updates as I get familiar with the receiver.

I've had the receiver for a week. It's hooked up to a non-HDTV TV as I don't have a HDTV yet. Receiver was just for the feeds I couldn't get before (4:2:2 and HD) for the college football season. Video to the TV is from the RCA cable. Sound is routed to the dolby digital receiver fiber optic input along with a DirecTV receiver, VCR and DVD player.

Picture outputs in NTSC to choose from are either 480i, 480p-60 (not sure what that is), 720p-60 (not sure what that is) or 1080i-60. For Pal, regular format, 576-50, 720-50 or 1080i-50. I choose 480i/NTSC.

You have 4 satellite slots only in the receiver. Most of the names are from Europe. There's lots to choose from in each location. I use AMC 4 for all birds as it's easier for me now.

I can't find a way if there is one to have 2 audio pids work at the same time. AC 3 feeds come in automatically like from PBS on AMC 3 Ku.

Owners manual comes in several different languages with English being first in the manual.

Once you have a channel saved like ABC News Now or the NBC feeds on AMC 1 Ku, you can't change the name in the receiver. Whatever the name is of the scanned feed at the time of your scanning, it stays that name. NBC East is 9A for example, NBC Mountain is 11A.

The display on the screen tells you if the feed is in HD when a HD feed is available. There's a date and time, but mine aren't correct yet.

EPG program listings must be available in Europe, but I can't find any feeds that display those here in the US on either c or ku band.

Picture quality difference between 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 is that 4:2:2 seems to be more colourful especially on colour bars and appears brighter too.

You can delete channels that you have saved, but you have to go under favourites and delete them much like a DirecTV or Dish Network receiver.

I guess that's it. I'll add more if I come across anything. Feel free to add anything anybody if you want. :)

Ordered one yesterday from Lee. He said it would be here friday. Can't wait to see something in 4:2:2, never have. Also it'll be nice to see some HD from DVB.....

Lee is the person I bought mine from. He sent mine 3 day delivery which he didn't have to do. The few 4:2:2 feeds I have seen have been great. Lee will answer your e-mails too if you have questions. Red button is your key. Once you save feeds, you can use the red button to select what bird and channel. It took me a few days to figure that one out. LSAT (member here) was/is a big help to me too.

Thanks MikeI,
Reading your threads is how I found where to look. I've been trying for some time to locate an integra 912 (I think that's what it's called) with no luck. I had found the Mech Tech site a couple months back (a couple of different times) and had forgotten about it. At the time I had sort of lost interest, cause the site mentioned s/w or some other problems with it. But thanks anyway. I'm committed now.

Al

The UPS man just brought mine. Wasn't looking for it until tomorrow. I'll be busy tonight. Can't wait to see some DVB HD and 4:2:2 anything.....
Thanks MikeI for convincing me and thanks Lee for having one for me to get....

Al

Just think:........ Outdoor Channel HD.... Here I come.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fortec 5900 newest legal firmware

Anyone scanning Amazonas at 61.0°W?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)