Puzzled With My Installation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

drwindmill

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
I tried installing a 3 LNB dish today and couldn't get any signal. I thought my dish was mounted too close to my building so I moved the dish to a tripod in the middle of my driveway, with no luck(also everything was level and my coordinates were set properly). It was kind of a foggy day, but my setup worked less than 1/4 mile away. One thing that did happen was when I removed my cable from the SAT IN peg it touched the top of the receiver and for a second chimed up and peaked at 92. Why would this happen? I am by no means a pro at this, but have done several installs. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.......I also tried two different receivers and two different satellites and LNB's, a round and an oval.

the 92 spike was static electricity discharging. the new d-11s will fluctuate between 0 and 38 with no line attached.

Thanks for the help guys, just seems like the signal is not there. I never had this much trouble before. How long should I pause as I moved the dish slowly? Just seems like I should've picked something up by now.

damaged said:
You should always unplug all receivers from their power supply before messing with the coax, as you can damage the LNB(s). The numbers for elevation and azimuth you got, are only guides, you must gently adjust the dish side to side and up and down sometimes to get the signals. Below is the official installation/aiming guide for the 3lnb dish.

http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/12429_00_AntennaManual_1D.pdf

Do think I maybe did damage the LNB possibly?

dont start this dumb cr*p, us techs go to a service call in the winter and arc the center stinger off of the ground block to see if there is power. (it is dark early in the burgh), you wont damage anything.

dragon002 said:
dont start this dumb cr*p, us techs go to a service call in the winter and arc the center stinger off of the ground block to see if there is power. (it is dark early in the burgh), you wont damage anything.

Easy there tough guy, it states in the official manual "To prevent short, leave receiver unplugged until Step 9", maybe you would do well to actually READ the manuals you're supposed to as a supposed professional 'installer'.

Just ignore dragon, he has his reasons for saying stuff like that because he himself is an installer, so his information would be biased under certain conditions.

damaged, where did the love go??!!

anyway if i went by every step in every manual directv ever put out , id be at a single box install for 8 hours. im not an installer, im a tech.there is a huge difference.

and damaged you arent an installer or tech, correct?? so why YOUR advice over mine??

dragon002 said:
damaged, where did the love go??!!

anyway if i went by every step in every manual directv ever put out , id be at a single box install for 8 hours. im not an installer, im a tech.there is a huge difference.

and damaged you arent an installer or tech, correct?? so why YOUR advice over mine??

You started your reply with calling what I was merley stating what is in the manual as, "starting dumb crap". that's where the love went.

I never claimed to be an installer, but I know how to read manuals, and that is what it states.

As for taking your advice, how can I agree with advice that directly contridicts official installation guides?

You're acting like I made up that rule about unpluging the receivers, when in reality, it is the manual, then you call my statment dumb crap.

This is electrical 101, if there is power, and there is a short, you could damage components, how is that dumb? I have no doubt one could install 1000 dishes and never short something out, but if the installer does it, he's gotta put in a new one free, if a DIYer does it, than he has to, unplugging the power will NOT harm anything, it is better to err on the side of caution.

And now, we have made this poor guys post into another 'you dont agree with me so you are stupid' thread, my apologies to drwindmill.

If you want to continue this dragon, PM me.

Last edited:
So, could there be any other possible reason besides my lacking ability to point the satellite in the right manner-- that I can't receive any signal? I am really frustrated.

Thanks

Eric Goempel said:
Why not just get a service call? Let them find it. And its free.

Not all service calls are free.
He attempted to do his own install and failed.

mount the sucker and get a service call to have it aimed. Thats what I did when I moved one of mine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Help me out with TC Premier pricing

Directv dish installation problem?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)