Put Color Bars on MOOV 12-3AM for Calibration

Tvlman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Surf City.CA
We could correctly calibrate our HDTV's. When you buy an AVIA or other calibrating dvd and play it on your dvd player you are only calibrating for that particular input. It is costly to buy equipment capable of generating a HiDef Color Bars for calibrating HD. If we had a HiDef Color Bars on MOOV from 12-3AM we could better calibrate our HD inputs. You could play music. It wouldn't disturb any program and would not appear much different from other MOOV broadcasts.

Tvlman said:
We could correctly calibrate our HDTV's. When you buy an AVIA or other calibrating dvd and play it on your dvd player you are only calibrating for that particular input. It is costly to buy equipment capable of generating a HiDef Color Bars for calibrating HD. If we had a HiDef Color Bars on MOOV from 12-3AM we could better calibrate our HD inputs. You could play music. It wouldn't disturb any program and would not appear much different from other MOOV broadcasts.

I don't know if they still do it, but Starz/Encore used to do that every monday morning on all their east channels at around 4 or 5 a.m. est (1 or 2 pst) and do the same on their west channels at 7 or 8 a.m. est (4 or 5 pst)...

I'm at work at that time these days and the last time I saw it was before HD was available, but maybe they still do it and maybe the HD channels have an HD test pattern on them, which I wouldn't think would matter, as long as the signal is HD...

Why just 12-3? Why not 5 am to 10 pm.? That way, the stoners and drunks, or at least the employed stoners and drunks, still can fully enjoy the channel. And the rest of the time it can be useful to all of us.

great idea. use Moov for something useful! And add gray scales, geometry, and convergence grids.

when I had hdnet, they ran test patterns but they did it like at 5am and only for 8 minutes or so.

I like this idea too and makes much sense. What a great service that would be.

HDNET broadcasts a test pattern every Tuesday morning at 8 AM EST for about 10 minutes. It cycles through various screens and HDNET always broadcasts 100% of the image so you can check for overscan.

The engineer who developed it has a real sense of humor, on the last screen is a resolution test and there is some text that gets progressively smaller and it says "If you can read this then your display is better than mine". Or something to that effect.

Tvlman said:

This is such an excellent idea. Why don't you send an email to Wilt or post it on the Yahoo Voom form and see what he thinks? Also have Sheri do a piece on how to use it.

Encore-HD: All About the Benjamins 10PM

7/2 HD Cinema Premiere Movies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)