Purpose of phone line??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

diitto

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
Hi... We currently have a two room hookup and are considering adding a third room which would have just a simple D10 box. I have a satellite connection pulled to that room but not a phone line. What is the real purpose of having a phone line plugged in to each receiver?? What role does it play with any of the receivers, especially a D10?? Would I still be able to hook up a D10 in that room without a phone line or must I go to the trouble of getting one in there?? Any help would be appreciated... thanks much... bob...

Dragon's right, from what I know...its simply a monitoring tool because there is no other land line connection as with standard cable.

I have 4 receivers and none of them have ever been connected to a phone line and everything works fine...has been for years.

The only thing you will lose is the ability to order pay-per-view with your remote. However, its only to that receiver only and not the others as long as they are connected.

Other than that, you're good to go.

If you have access to the internet, then you can order movies online and it will be available to all IRD`s if you have more than one.

Seeing you have all your other receivers hooked to phone lines, just let D* know that you do not have a phone line in that roomand will not be putting on in there.
They will activate the unit without the ability to order PPV's with the remote.
As mentioned above, if you order online the movie will show up on all the receivers.

Everything mentioned above in previous posts are true !!!

Jimbo

As installers, we are supposed to tell the cx that is is for software upgrades and programming issues related to pay per view and sports packs. I do not lie to my cx's. I inform them that the satellite company wants you to spend your money with just a click of a button. They want you to order pay per views. I also tell them that it is for marketing schemes, monitoring issues, and caller id. Phone lines are just another way for big brother (satellite companies) to keep an eye on you and for you to spend your money.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

No odd transponders

One Line Split for Finished Basement

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)