Proper way to strip/terminate RG6?

sofakng

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
I never seem to be able to strip and terminate RG6 properly. (eg. my connectors are very loose, fall off, etc)

I'm not sure if it's my tools but here's what I'm using:

IDEAL Coaxial Stripper, 3-Step
and
IDEAL Economy Compression Tool

I've read two methods for stripping the cable:

1) Remove outer jacket, outer braid, and outer foil. Fold inner braid down around jacket and leave inner foil in contact with dielectric.

2) Remove outer jacket, leave outer braid, and remove outer foil. Folder both outer and inner braid down around jacket and leave inner foil in contact with dielectric.

Which is correct? I've also heard of removing the inner foil and/or folding it against the jacket along with the braid.

Also, is my compression tool compatible with both RG-6 and RG-6 Quad?

Thanks so much...

Also I have found that if you strip off too much of the rubber part you will get a bad compression as well. You only need to strip off maybe 1/4 of an inch to expose the inner part and make threading the connector on easier before you compress it. Otherwise the compression part has nothing (or too little) to grab on to and it becomes flimsy.

Follow the first method, the foil is there for a reason. If you have quad shielded coax then fold down the braid, foil, then another layer of braid leaving the last layer of foil.

Push the connector on until the dieelectric gets flush with the end of the connector before the threads.

Snip the excess off the end of the center conductor flush with the end of the connector otherwise you may permanently damage equipment if it is too long.

What happened to the recommendation that you leave 1/8" core wire beyond the outer shell? This was for the DPP44 with its very deep center contact and long outer screw. With the flush cut it does not make a reliable/sufficient contact IIRC. For some, the core and its insulation with work back into the foil and shield with working/bending/stretching.

-Ken

Last edited:
I picked up one of these kits a couple of weeks ago;

Unicorn Electronics - Coax F Compression Connector Termination Kit

That store is local to me so I just browsed the displays to find it. Since picking it up I've been redoing a lot of my poor terminations and replacing RG59 cable with RG6 everywhere. Compression connectors really give terrific results compared to the old crimp style stuff I used in the past. The stripper makes stripping a no-brainer.

The stripper is available separately if you don't need the other stuff.

Unicorn Electronics - Two Level Stripper RG58/59/62/6/6 Quad Shield

I picked up one of these kits a couple of weeks ago;

Unicorn Electronics - Coax F Compression Connector Termination Kit

That store is local to me so I just browsed the displays to find it. Since picking it up I've been redoing a lot of my poor terminations and replacing RG59 cable with RG6 everywhere. Compression connectors really give terrific results compared to the old crimp style stuff I used in the past. The stripper makes stripping a no-brainer.

The stripper is available separately if you don't need the other stuff.

Unicorn Electronics - Two Level Stripper RG58/59/62/6/6 Quad Shield

This guy's website also has good instruction (w/ pictures) on how to strip cable and install connnectors:

How to install coax cable end connector fittings.

I never seem to be able to strip and terminate RG6 properly. (eg. my connectors are very loose, fall off, etc)

I'm not sure if it's my tools but here's what I'm using:

IDEAL Coaxial Stripper, 3-Step
and
IDEAL Economy Compression Tool

I've read two methods for stripping the cable:

1) Remove outer jacket, outer braid, and outer foil. Fold inner braid down around jacket and leave inner foil in contact with dielectric.

2) Remove outer jacket, leave outer braid, and remove outer foil. Folder both outer and inner braid down around jacket and leave inner foil in contact with dielectric.

Which is correct? I've also heard of removing the inner foil and/or folding it against the jacket along with the braid.

Also, is my compression tool compatible with both RG-6 and RG-6 Quad?

Thanks so much...

i dont see a problem with the tools ... but you might be sure that you have the right connector for the wire you are using ... eacalhoun has some pics of what the wire should look like ...

Most tools I've seen will pretty much tell you where to strip. The main I've always looked for is that the when you peel back the layers the middle is intact with foil surrounding the center core. As for the the length of the center, at least in for cable you dont wont it to extend past the connector. Some people think you'll get better reception if it's longer but it can exactly make things worse.

vip211k did not take the HD upgrade

222 installation question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)