Proof that MPEG-4 saves bandwidth/storage space?

ka1z0ku

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Chucktown,SC
My 722 is picking up USA HD from 61.5, which should be the new MPEG-4 stream.

I recorded approximately 8 hours and 15 minutes of Olympics coverage overnight, about 2 nights ago (handball, weightlifting, boxing, etc...). Before recording, my remaining HD space was at approx. 26hrs 30mins (cannot remember exact number). After the recording? 25hrs 6mins. :eek:

I knew that MPEG-4 was more efficient than MPEG-2, but that's an almost 8:1 ratio. Can anyone confirm similar experiences?

If this turns out to be more than a fluke, then the MPEG-4 switch (when all HDs and SDs are MPEG-4 streams) would turn 50 hours of estimated space into 350-400 hours, provided the ratio holds up. But even if it leads to just a doubling or quadrupling of space, that's an enormous gain for free. :up

I recorded approximately 8 hours and 15 minutes of Olympics coverage overnight, about 2 nights ago (handball, weightlifting, boxing, etc...). Before recording, my remaining HD space was at approx. 26hrs 30mins (cannot remember exact number). After the recording? 25hrs 6mins. :eek:

I knew that MPEG-4 was more efficient than MPEG-2, but that's an almost 8:1 ratio. Can anyone confirm similar experiences?

If this turns out to be more than a fluke, then the MPEG-4 switch (when all HDs and SDs are MPEG-4 streams) would turn 50 hours of estimated space into 350-400 hours, provided the ratio holds up. But even if it leads to just a doubling or quadrupling of space, that's an enormous gain for free. :up

I don't know where this miss information is coming from, but USA HD has ALWAYS been in mpeg 4...

110. am i missing an update or something or will it change to 61.5 on it's own?

It is getting USA HD thru 61.5 by default,If you want to get it from 110 you need to disconnect 61.5 and run a check switch, But is no worth the hassle and makes no difference in pq or else.:)

It is getting USA HD thru 61.5 by default,If you want to get it from 110 you need to disconnect 61.5 and run a check switch, But is no worth the hassle and makes no difference in pq or else.:)
let me run a check switch. it should be getting it off of 61.5

My experience with a 622 is that each hour of satellite recording takes up about 45 minutes of drive space. Each hour of ota takes up an hour of drive space. (The ota seems to hit right on the exact amount, in my completely un-scientific checks of time regained after deleting an event. Maybe the 722 is more effecient with the recording? And possibly it's because NBC shows so many commercials during the Olympics, and they don't take up as much space?:D (TV Guide says they've been "averaging" 24 minutes of commercials per hour during the Olympics, it sure seems like I've had to zap thru more than that. I know, they gotta recoup their investment but still.)

P Smith already did a test and posted the results here. He started with an empty hard drive and recorded ALL MPEG4 programs and recorded the data. He wiped the drive again and recorded ALL MPEG2 programs and recorded the data .... or something well detailed. It's all posted here somewhere. I don't remember all of the details but I do know that it was by no means 8:1 ratio. It was more or less 2:1, as I recall.

P Smith already did a test and posted the results here. He started with an empty hard drive and recorded ALL MPEG4 programs and recorded the data. He wiped the drive again and recorded ALL MPEG2 programs and recorded the data .... or something well detailed. It's all posted here somewhere. I don't remember all of the details but I do know that it was by no means 8:1 ratio. It was more or less 2:1, as I recall.

I haven't seen PSmith's post, but 2-1 is probably overstating it. I'll look for the post. My estimate is more like 1.8 to 1. But who's going to quibble over .2 of a point? :rolleyes:

Fitzie

My Network TV HD?

Cabling......does it ever need replacing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts