planning on upgrading equipment need input

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DonRod

Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
Virginia
hi all i currently have a r-10 tivo reciever(i know an antique but it i've had no issues with it) and the standard dish with the 3 lnb. i plan on purchasing an hr-24 from an ebay seller. the hr-24 will be used in my living room where i have the r-10 hooked up to my flatscreen samsung and surround system and the r-10 will be relocated back to the bedroom. i want to know if the dish i have will work with the hr-24 or will i have to change out to the slimline 5 or 3 lnb with swm if necessary. thanks in advance.

Yes, you must have a slimline to get ANY HD. And, if you get an SWM slimline, it will NOT work with the R10.
Why don't you just call D* & see what they would charge to upgrade your dish, even though you already bought the HR24?
They might even cut you a sweet deal to upgrade the R10 to another HD DVR at NO charge, as well as providing the proper new dish at the same time. (you already bought the HR24 yourself, so it's NO $$$ out of their pocket) Then, you CAN use SWM on BOTH receivers & you can also add MRV &/or Cinema Connection to BOTH receivers as part of the upgrade. (Even if you do NOT ever want MRV or CC, I'd still upgrade it now) At worse case it would certainly be worth your time & if you do not like their price, you can still do it yourself.
I guarantee you once you get the HR24 running, you will want another one for the bedroom - the monthy cost will be the same either way, so it would make more sense replacing the R10.

Yes, you must have a slimline to get ANY HD. And, if you get an SWM slimline, it will NOT work with the R10.
Why don't you just call D* & see what they would charge to upgrade your dish, even though you already bought the HR24?
They might even cut you a sweet deal to upgrade the R10 to another HD DVR at NO charge, as well as providing the proper new dish at the same time. (you already bought the HR24 yourself, so it's NO $$$ out of their pocket) Then, you CAN use SWM on BOTH receivers & you can also add MRV &/or Cinema Connection to BOTH receivers as part of the upgrade. (Even if you do NOT ever want MRV or CC, I'd still upgrade it now) At worse case it would certainly be worth your time & if you do not like their price, you can still do it yourself.
I guarantee you once you get the HR24 running, you will want another one for the bedroom - the monthy cost will be the same either way, so it would make more sense replacing the R10.

thanks for the input. that sucks i cant use my r-10. i have a 27' in. symphonic tv(its the old style "square" box with the flat screen) that the r-10 was hooked up to and the picture was as close to hd as u could get. i got a 32' in. samsung for the living room and moved it there and you can see the difference in picture quality, but its been good to me the last 2-3yrs, just want to upgrade my gear. dont really need the mrv or cinema connection. also which lnb would u recommend the 3 or 5. i have the total choice plus package and sunday ticket.

thanks for the input. that sucks i cant use my r-10. i have a 27' in. symphonic tv(its the old style "square" box with the flat screen) that the r-10 was hooked up to and the picture was as close to hd as u could get. i got a 32' in. samsung for the living room and moved it there and you can see the difference in picture quality, but its been good to me the last 2-3yrs, just want to upgrade my gear. dont really need the mrv or cinema connection. also which lnb would u recommend the 3 or 5. i have the total choice plus package and sunday ticket.

Don,
You misread Dishrich's post.
IF you go to a SWM set up you can't use the R-10.

Personally, I would look to upgrade the r10 as well.
I am not familiar with that one, but I don't think it is HD and probably not MPEG4 either.
I would call D and see what they want to upgrade your r10 and they would change the dish for free that way, then you can hook up the HR24 as well.

As for the 3 or 5, it all depends on what Sat your locals are on., most are on the 101 so a 3 lnb set up be fine, but if yours are on the 119 Sat, you'd want the 5 lnb set up.

What city are your locals from ?

Jimbo, the R10 was the last SD only D-tivo made.
And since he mentioned he already had a 3LNB dish, I suspect his locals are on 119.

OK Don, so let's all just cut to the chase now - why do you NOT want to go the simple route by calling D* & get it done for FREE? (or at least next to nothing anyway) You will NOT loose your TC+ pkg by having them out; they will simply add HD access on to your pkg. BTW, you ARE aware that you should be able to get the $10 HD fee waived for 2 years if you have THEM do the upgrade, but you will have to go on auto-pay.
Also, you're going to find out it's going to cost you MORE to buy the new dish/LNB, etc yourself, instead of just having D* do it all. Not to mention the slimlines are more touchy to aim than your 3LNB you have now.
And regardless if YOU or THEY do it, you're still going to get put on a 2 year contract when you activate that new HR24.

If you insist on keeping the R10, then that's fine - but you have to understand you CANNOT use it on any SWM slimline. period! But the techs usually have non-SWM LNB's as well, so either way, they can reconnect it in the other room. (but you WILL have to have 2 coax's to make both tuners work) They will also provide the correct (3 or 5) LNB depending on where your SD locals are from now.

Last edited:
More then likely if you have an R10 you have been a DTV customer for a long time and are out of contract.
Which means they will most likely give you a free upgrade to HD.

However, what I would do is tell them you want MRV (Multi Room Viewing).
They may but most likely won't do this for free but it shouldn't cost too much unless you have a lot of receivers to swap.

But it is certainly worth a try.

Even if you buy all of the equipment and do the upgrade yourself, the monthly price will be the same and you'll have a 24 month commitment visited upon you.

How much is it worth it to you to DIY?

I understand that some states charge more or less for leased versus owned. Are there major tax advantages to owning versus leasing in your state?

Technically, the $5 a month is not pay for a lease.
No matter if it is "leased" or owned, you will still pay that $5 a month.
The main reason for calling it a lease is to show company net worth to share holders.

There is zero value to buying vs getting the equipment for free from DTV.
Also, I am pretty sure it is only a 24 contract on upgrades (at least that is what it has been every time I have helped a customer deal with dtv to get an upgrade).

Your best be is almost always to get everything done through DTV these days.
Don't get so caught up on the whole contract thing as if you have completed a contract, you have been with them at least 2 years and if you are upgrading will most likely be with them at least another year.

Also, keep in mind, that contract protects you too by locking you in to a price.

thanks for all your input guys. to clarify a few things, i know i'll be locked in for the contract, that's not a big deal. i first had d* in 2000. left them for voom(bad move). i came back in '05 when i bought my r-10 from walmart. i relocated my dish and hooked up everything myself. signal on all sats is at least 93 or better. auto pay is not an option right now, keeping the r-10 is not a big issue, id settle for a little d12 in the bedroom for right now. and i live in VA , so i believe my locals are on 119. on another note ive also got my old voom boxes and 2 phillips dsx5353c's if anyone wants some antiques...lol

Ok, if your locals come in on the 119, you will need a 5 lnb if you guy HD.
However, it still goes back to having a professional install vs a self install and the fact that your standard dish is easier to install and point then a Slimline.
You don't have to go autopay unless you want HD service for free.

If you don't have to have HD, and you would be happy with a standard non dvr in the bed room then why not just hook up one of the phillips dsx5353c's in the BR and call it a day.
If the account holder was you, this should not be a problem. If not, you simply need to pay $20 for a new access card.
No contract renual required then.

If you must have HD then call Direct for the upgrade.
It will most likely be free and more importantly less headaches.
As long as you have been with them, if they try and charge you, tell them that Dish will give you a multi room HD DVR for free and a discounted promotional rate for a year. Then sit back and watch them jump through hoops.

Last edited:
Update:

Got my dish yesterday. Went ahead and prepped it with the el. and tilt settings for my area. Head out onto the roof this afternoon and proceeded to install my dish. Used my trusty compass, shot the az. and lined it up.....Bingo!!....hit 101 on my first try(well maybe 2, lol) peaked the signal from there and made all necessary adjustments, called D* and boom, all set
watching this very nice hd picture....not as hard as i thought it would be....lol

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Getting out of region sports networks

Contract extension sticky

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)