PIP stopped working....help!

finoky

Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
Yesterday my PIP stopped working on my 522 in single mode. One tuner works fine as in I can watch TV normally and all other TV's in the house work. When I push PIP however I get a blank screen. When I swap the PIP it goes into searching for satellite and continues that forever without ever finding a signal. The signal is fine in the other original swapped out PIP box. Basically I don't get a signal in both boxes. Any idea what is happening?

sounds like tuner 1 or 2 is dosconnected or something... go into the point dish screen and run a check switch.. menu 6-1-1-1 i believe..

When I looked at the switch information in the installation menu it said ok, ok, ok for both tuners. I am running the switch check test anyway. Tuner 2 ran 3 of 3 and tuner 1 is in the middle of running 5 of 50 test. Hope this will solve the problem.

sounds like you have a superdish :).

If its gone to the 50 test it sounds like tuner 1 is disconnected... possibly at the DP34 switch... you may want to check that. It said they were all ok before because it was looking at the most recent test. This could be a dead tuner as well. there are several possiblities.. let us know where it ends

Yes I have a super dish. It is needed to get 105 for locals in the Norfolk, Va market. I also have a dp34 switch. Well the test for tuner 2 came out ok. The test for tuner 1 failed.

check all connections on tuner 1. cables, ends, dp 34, everything. this could be a dead tuner bad cable or bad switch. do you have multiple recievers or just the 522?

I have one additional 322 and it works fine for the other two rooms. Tuner 1 on my 522 is coming up reception error when I run the switch test. I have already checked all the connections at the DP34 and the back of my 522 and all looks good. My best guess now is that the tuner is bad. GRRRRR!

finoky said:
I have one additional 322 and it works fine for the other two rooms. Tuner 1 on my 522 is coming up reception error when I run the switch test. I have already checked all the connections at the DP34 and the back of my 522 and all looks good. My best guess now is that the tuner is bad. GRRRRR!

sure does sound like it... if all conections are secure and everything. one last thing to check before calling dish and b!tching.. switch the cable for inputs 1 and 2. so that what was in 1 is now in 2 and vice versa. now if the opposite tuner fails this time the switch is stuck or fubar. if tuner 1 still fails its the tuner... make sure you run the check switch after changing them just to make sure.

Well I just did what you suggested and here are the results. When I switched the inputs on the two tuners the problem followed the cables. In other words before the problem was with tuner 1. Once I switched the inputs around and ran another switch test the problem is now with tuner 2. I guess there is nothing wrong with the 522 tuners. Now it has to either be the cables or the switch itself.

yup... if you know which ports which cables are plugged into... go to the switch and switch the known good cable with the unknown problem. if the problem follows the cable then bingo its the cable. if it doesnt follow the cable then you can try to hard reset the switch. unplug all the recievers from it... run a switch test... then plug a reciever back in and run another switch check. this essentially resets the entire matrix. again.. if the problem follows the cable.. theres your problem... could be too sharp a bend or a loose connector on the cable itself.

Well after hours of switching around connections and performing multiple switch test I found the culprit and corrected it. I now have my PIP back in good working order. It wasn't the 522 or the DP34 switch. It turned out to be a loose crimp on the cable that splices in as it comes out of the crawl space and enters the wall into the house. I happened to have some extra cable and replaced it. Thanks again Shadow for all your help. I know this is a minor problem to some that I read on here. However, during football season I love having two games on the screen at once and I needed my PIP to accomplish that.

thats exactly what i meant by the loose connector. if its just a normal crimp... they do wear out fairly quickly. If you ever have an installer out there again I highly recommend they put some compression ends on there. they seem to be the best.

New Satellite Bill Passes

Credit-Card Autopay Discount

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)