Percentage of HD Penetration

inazsully

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Sun City West, AZ
This question was last asked 3 years ago so I'm wondering if in 2011 anybody has an idea of the percentage of "E" subs that have at least one HD receiver in their homes. Now that we have "E" reps onboard here perhaps they could at least hazard a educated guess. Three years ago it seems this information was not available, at least to us, but I would hope these numbers would be just everyday statistics by now.

the numbers still can be skewed.....here is why

Before the "HD for life" thing folks who were in an Eastern Arc market, regardless if they took HD or not, got HD equipment as only that equipment is MPEG4

So how many households have HD equipment but dont subscribe to the HD package and the only HD programming they get is their locals?

That's a great question. Considering E* is a little lacking in the HD department when it comes to DuoDVR (TV2 HD) I'm wondering how many people have HD on E* and even how many people have more than one HDTV/HD receiver as well.

Count me in as both :D .

EDIT: Great point Iceberg I guess what would fix that is asking how many people have HD receivers AND subscribe to HD. Count me in :) .

Considering E* is a little lacking in the HD department when it comes to DuoDVR (TV2 HD) I'm wondering how many people have HD on E* and even how many people have more than one HDTV/HD receiver as well.
Can you name any provider that provides a standalone DVR that can drive more than one HD stream?

the numbers still can be skewed.....here is why

Before the "HD for life" thing folks who were in an Eastern Arc market, regardless if they took HD or not, got HD equipment as only that equipment is MPEG4

So how many households have HD equipment but dont subscribe to the HD package and the only HD programming they get is their locals?

Good point, My brother-in-law has a 722 and no HD TV. And a co-worker of mine has an HD TV, but doesn't subscribe to HD programming.

Don't overlook the satellite subscribers (both companies) that depend on MPEG4 for their LiL.
I'm not. But to ask the question of "how many accounts have a HD receiver" and the thread title of "HD penetration" one would think it is in regards to HD service. But the numbers are skewed. Take into account
-folks who have HD receivers only for locals (as mentioned in my 1st post)
-folks who have a HD receiver but not HD service at all (folks with Welcome pack and their locals arent in HD.....they may have had a bigger package before)
-folks who have a HD receiver (like a 211 or 622/722) but have no HD through satellite but HD via the OTA option.

Again the numbers can get skewed

Can you name any provider that provides a standalone DVR that can drive more than one HD stream?

When you put it that way, none. Who cares though. What I want is the ability to share HD recordings and schedule recordings between TVs, regardless of how many receivers are needed. No, EHD does not count. Though it's a good alternative, it is not a direct replacement.

This question was last asked 3 years ago so I'm wondering if in 2011 anybody has an idea of the percentage of "E" subs that have at least one HD receiver in their homes.
I'm guessing that it is far less than 50%.

I don't have any DISH Network numbers but DIRECTV has offered hints in one form or another a couple of times over the last year or so. DIRECTV claimed to surpass 50% "Advanced Technology" about 18 months ago. This regrettably includes SD DVRs.

At a recent presentation, Michael White said that DIRECTV Plus HD DVRs were in 6 million homes (out fo 20-some million homes).

I would expect that DISH Network's percentage would be less than DIRECTV's for the reasons cited above combined with the much lower ARPU that DISH Network fetches.

What does this have to do with HD penetration?

E*'s only multi-room solution does not have an HD option for multiple rooms. I wonder how many other people would choose E* over competition if they had an actual multi-room HD solution. I also wonder how many people are affected by the inability to have a DuoDVR due to the need for multiple HD receivers.

Considering that HD TV's have been pretty much all that can be purchased for the past few years, I would expect that HD penetration numbers can only increase. As for the dual HD tuner, this was discussed here some time ago and I don't recall if the reason there aren't any was technical or financial.
It would seem they could produce one if they wanted to.

In my area I figure approximately 15% of my customers have HD programming. People around here tend to hang on to there old tv's and dishes. 70% of the people around here are over the age of 55 and are not technological they prefer to stick with what they know and what they are comfortable with. I still have customers who can not figure out their 322's.

E*'s only multi-room solution does not have an HD option for multiple rooms. I wonder how many other people would choose E* over competition if they had an actual multi-room HD solution. I also wonder how many people are affected by the inability to have a DuoDVR due to the need for multiple HD receivers.
Probably not that many. DIRECTV users typically have more receivers than DISH Network users so it doesn't really mean much.

Anyone who has at least an HD receiver is a member of the set so your point is lacking in relevance to the topic.

Considering that HD TV's have been pretty much all that can be purchased for the past few years, I would expect that HD penetration numbers can only increase. As for the dual HD tuner, this was discussed here some time ago and I don't recall if the reason there aren't any was technical or financial.
It would seem they could produce one if they wanted to.

Yeah, and as more and more people's old TVs die there will be more and more HDTVs out there. The question is though, will they actually subscribe to HD service? I suppose that the subscription rate will lag behind the actual amount of HDTVs out there.

I can't see why it would be so hard for E* to have DuoHD, the fact that they seem to be in no rush for this might clue us in that the number of HD subscribers is still low. Very interested to know though...

Probably not that many. DIRECTV users typically have more receivers than DISH Network users so it doesn't really mean much.

Anyone who has at least an HD receiver is a member of the set so your point is lacking in relevance to the topic.

I meant the need for multiple DVRs, not just receivers. Basically, there's no way on E* to share HD recordings between two HDTVs, other than EHD.

If you would even read the posts here, you would see that people with HD receivers don't necessarily count as "HD penetration" as there are plenty with HD receivers that do not subscribe to HD.

I didn't realize that there were rules stating that I wasn't allowed to voice my opinion. If you think my posts are so irrelevant you could simply ignore them rather than adding more irrelevance.

Last edited:
The question is though, will they actually subscribe to HD service?
Far too many will not... I'm sure everyone here knows multiple people who own HDTVs and still use the same set-tops from cable or satellite, connected via RF cable, that they've had for years :( As long as the picture fills the screen -- gotta love the "Stretch" button !! -- they'll think it's "HD".

Far too many will not... I'm sure everyone here knows multiple people who own HDTVs and still use the same set-tops from cable or satellite, connected via RF cable, that they've had for years :( As long as the picture fills the screen -- gotta love the "Stretch" button !! -- they'll think it's "HD".

Ughh my dad used to stretch SD channels all the time on his 722k... He has HD and luckily he doesn't try to stretch HD since it fills the screen, but when he was watching an SD channel, he would always stretch it because he hates the black bars... Every time I would put it back to normal not too long afterward he would stretch it again... Drove me NUTS!!! So I finally gave in and set it to zoom in and chop off the top and bottom, beats the hell outta stretching!

OK I'm an HD lover & have been for a decade. I don't understand anyone wouldn't want it. Now that being said to me the question is moot point at this time. It is more important to know how many households of MPEG 4 receivers & DVR's are in the system. That would let us know how many need to be switched before WA will be all MPEG 4.

That's a great point. However I think it will be a long time before WA is all MPEG 4. I mean heck DISH is just now switching ancient QPSK receivers to the now-already-obsolete 8PSK MPEG 2 receivers.

A Bunch of Dish Questions

question about CNN

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)