Please reply by conversation.

ZandarKoad

Amish Satellite Technician
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
It's been a while since I've tried to peak in a FTA, and now I remember why I stopped doing it. It could take an hour or more JUST TO PEAK the freaking things. I swung that dish back and forth for over 30 minutes without so much as a blip on my Super Sat Buddy 29. I'm shooting for 97 W. It looks to be a 90 cm dish with a universal Sadoun LNBF. I've got no line of sight issues, and I'm telling my superbuddy that I'm looking for a GloryStar provider, G19 orbital. Is that the correct SuperBuddy settings? If not, what else could it be?

The zip code is 37086 so I'm going for 46.5 elevation. I tried altering the elevation between 44 and 52, with no results. All I get is dB on the meter, no quality. And the dB doesn't even move AT ALL either.

Here's the most important question: What position should the LNB take inside the LNB bracket? All the way forward (towards the reflector)? All the way back (away from the reflector)? What about 'twisting' the LNB in it's bracket? Should it be at 0?

On the superbuddy, I can select several transponders. Is there a specific transponder I should be looking for while peaking? The customer is NOT a glory star customer, he just wants a bunch of free channels.

I'm going back today for another hour or two of messing with it...

For your zip code, the azimuth to 97W is 197 degrees and elevation is 46.8 degrees. LNB should be skewed counterclockwise when facing the front of the dish. Mid position forwards/backwards in the LNB bracket should be a good starting point. A strong transponder on 97W for me is Ebru TV on 12084 V 22000. Also Al Jazeera on 12152 H 20000.

the skew/rotation of the lnb will depend on your location, i have just looked up your zip code on dispointer....you need to rotate your lnb clockwise about 15 degrees (this is looking at the LNB from BEHIND the dish)

are you sure you have the correct settings? such as LNB frequency? and are you sure you are selecting an active transponder?

without the correct settings and an active transponder you can sit and aim your dish for weeks and you will get nothing, even if you ARE aimed correctly!

the skew/rotation of the lnb will depend on your location, i have just looked up your zip code on dispointer....you need to rotate your lnb clockwise about 15 degrees (this is looking at the LNB from BEHIND the dish)...
Mikey...you're quite correct in giving the skew with respect to standing behind the dish. But it's strange to me since I can't reach the LNB from behind the dish. So I like to think of which direction to rotate the LNB while standing in front of the dish facing it. Since I must stand on a ladder to do this, it isn't too difficult to keep my big head out of the way of the signal while doing this. How does one calculate the numerical value of skew anyway? Or do we just use dishpointer to tell us?

Mikey...you're quite correct in giving the skew with respect to standing behind the dish. But it's strange to me since I can't reach the LNB from behind the dish. So I like to think of which direction to rotate the LNB while standing in front of the dish facing it. Since I must stand on a ladder to do this, it isn't too difficult to keep my big head out of the way of the signal while doing this. How does one calculate the numerical value of skew anyway? Or do we just use dishpointer to tell us?

dishpointer is just a guideline, the values are not set in stone....these values are just a starting point, everything needs to be peaked or fine tuned for maximum quality, and that includes the skew/rotation....also try sliding the LNB closer and further away from the dish for maximum quality (slide in and out of holder)....in my experience the skew does not affect the quality very much as long as you are in the general area or close....skew and lnb position should be fine tuned last, after elevation and az are set

are you sure you have the correct settings? such as LNB frequency? and are you sure you are selecting an active transponder?

No, no, and no.

Thanks for the LNB skew tip. I'll try that today. The Super Sat Buddy doesn't show those frequencies. It only gives transponder options of 1, 3, 7, etc... (Not sure the exact numbers.) It does appear that there is a frequency on a given transponder, but it's a four digit number, not a five digit number.

No, no, and no.

Thanks for the LNB skew tip. I'll try that today. The Super Sat Buddy doesn't show those frequencies. It only gives transponder options of 1, 3, 7, etc... (Not sure the exact numbers.) It does appear that there is a frequency on a given transponder, but it's a four digit number, not a five digit number.

the four digit numbers are c-band transponders, you will never get anything using them

...The Super Sat Buddy doesn't show those frequencies. It only gives transponder options of 1, 3, 7, etc... (Not sure the exact numbers.) It does appear that there is a frequency on a given transponder, but it's a four digit number, not a five digit number.
4-digit frequencies mean they are C-band. You want Ku-band frequencies which are all 5 digits (11700 to 12200). Sounds like you need to learn how to enter Ku-band transponder frequencies. Probably the single-digit options are the transponder numbers. Ebru TV is tp 21 and Al Jazeera is tp 26.

You answered your own question when you stated that the customer has an Universal type LNBF, but you chose the GloryStar preselect. If you look at the configuration for the GloryStar setting you will notice that the LNBF type is Standard type with LO 10750.

You were unable to locate 97w due to choosing the wrong configuration for your meter. Nothing special about linear polarity LNBFs and Galaxy 19 that should intimidate any installer or technician. Your meter provides the LNBF rotation (Skew) setting based on the install location. If you are unsure on how to read your meter's information, uses tools like DishPointer or www.GeoSatFinder.com to be prepared prior to an installation or service call with the dish aiming coordinates and Skew setting.

To configure your meter for thos customer's LNBF type:
1. Choose Generic and select Galaxy 19 2. Select either the Universal type LNBF with LO 9750/10600 or select Standard type LNBF with a LO of 10600 and the 22khz ON.
3. Select a transponder to locate the satellite. I prefer 12152 as it is unique to G19.
4. Balance between 12152, 12115 and 11842 for highest Quality readings on all three transponders. Don't just peak one transponder.

The difference between being an installer and a technician is understanding the technology, ability to analyze and isolate issues and knowing how to use the tools of your trade. Super Sat Buddy meters are great tools if they are properly configured. Applied Instruments has some good training materials to learn how to get the most out of your investment.

The Super Sat Buddy has the option to display transponder numbers, IF or RF frequencies. If the meter is displaying 4 digits it may either be displaying a C- band frequency or the IF.

Check how the meter is configured.

http://www.appliedin.com/www/assets/products/SuperBuddy/downloads/Universal_LNB_Super_Buddy.pdf

http://www.appliedin.com/www/assets/products/SuperBuddy/downloads/97W_Galaxy19_FTA_SuperBuddy.pdf

Galaxy 25 / IA5 / Telstar 5 Installation

ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 29 12.33.jpg

A good TP to select to monitor the alignment is 12152 H SR 20000 (19997) That is the Al Jazeera News TP.

Thought that this may assist you.

RADAR

Last edited:
Best bet is a couple of diplexers with a test tv at dish using fta receiver as a visual, fail safe in my opinion.

TP 12177 R 23000 is also a good one to use and that is where JCTV is at and thats how i peeked my dish in.

12177 can provide false positives on several other satellites, so it usually is not the suggested transponder to use for locating Galaxy 19. I recall that five other satellites can produce a false lock using the similar frequency/symbol rate combo.

G19 has adjacent satellite interference with several transponders on 95W and 99W. It is best to peak and balance the dish aiming and the LNBF skew/fore/aft placement on three or more transponders to ensure that all channels are logged and receiving adequate Signal Quality readings.

Another option is to never do any FTA work. :)

FTA installs and service work can yield a much higher rate and no charge backs. Since most commercial installs use the same linear LNB techniques, probably best to learn about FSS and make better money on higher end jobs!

Typically a residential FTA install to one TV with a single wall penetration and a wall or roof mount is invoiced at $150 to $175. A normal install is completed in a few hours. If not, it is probably time to hang up the meter and flip burgers..... Commercial FTA installs of 90cm or 1.2M dishes with a rack mount and balancing take 6 or 7 hours for a tough one and are invoiced at a minimum of $750+. Add Plenum cable, conduits, additional drops, etc. and a commercial facility earns a tech $2000 - $3000 for a few days work.

Last edited:
FTA installs and service work can yield a much higher rate and no charge backs. Since most commercial installs use the same linear LNB techniques, probably best to learn about FSS and make better money on higher end jobs! Typically a residential FTA install to one TV with a single wall penetration and a wall or roof mount is invoiced at $150 to $175. A normal install is completed in a few hours. If not, it is probably time to hang up the meter and flip burgers.....

Brian, you are going to have to clarify that for me. It sounds like you are contradicting yourself here.
Is it me? Or did you say that wrong?

FTA installs and service work can yield a much higher rate

best to learn about FSS and make better money on higher end jobs!

RADAR

Brian, you are going to have to clarify that for me. It sounds like you are contradicting yourself here.
Is it me? Or did you say that wrong?

No contradiction.... FSS jobs pay more than DBS.

Could be a FSS residential install that will pay 2 or 3 times the DBS rate or might be a commercial job with many hours work at a great rate. Learn the FSS technology and make more $$$ in either a residential or a commercial setting.

FTA installs and service work can yield a much higher rate and no charge backs. Since most commercial installs use the same linear LNB techniques, probably best to learn about FSS and make better money on higher end jobs!

Typically a residential FTA install to one TV with a single wall penetration and a wall or roof mount is invoiced at $150 to $175. A normal install is completed in a few hours. If not, it is probably time to hang up the meter and flip burgers..... Commercial FTA installs of 90cm or 1.2M dishes with a rack mount and balancing take 6 or 7 hours for a tough one and are invoiced at a minimum of $750+. Add Plenum cable, conduits, additional drops, etc. and a commercial facility earns a tech $2000 - $3000 for a few days work.

Ok you definitely have some valid responses. Thank you for pointing this out, sometimes a friendly reminder is in order. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

easy signals on the clark belt? uhf

need a confirmation on a strong transponder for 83w ku

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)