Paying for DNS channels 390-399??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rich8703

Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
phoenix
Hello,

I have read a lot of posts and information regarding the DNS channels. So far it is my understanding that Directv is pretty firm about only giving access to the DNS channels if you dont have access to your local channels. Directv knows I get access to local channels but I want the DNS east channels for time shifting and stuff.

However, has anyone tried to pay extra for those channels? I don't see any issues if I am willing to pay for them because I am still suscribing to my local channels in phoenix and following the FCC regulations and the eastern networks are getting paid (from me paying extra) plus I'm sure directv will gladly take my money.

Federal law prohibits satellite subscribers from delivering DNS feeds of the big 4 networks from NYC or LA unless you don't get local channels in your area or lived in unserved household or lived in a short market. My best bet to watch the out-of-market locals is subscribe to ivi.tv for $4.99 a month, it offers NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Seattle locals (actual ones).

Hello,

I have read a lot of posts and information regarding the DNS channels. So far it is my understanding that Directv is pretty firm about only giving access to the DNS channels if you dont have access to your local channels. Directv knows I get access to local channels but I want the DNS east channels for time shifting and stuff.

However, has anyone tried to pay extra for those channels? I don't see any issues if I am willing to pay for them because I am still suscribing to my local channels in phoenix and following the FCC regulations and the eastern networks are getting paid (from me paying extra) plus I'm sure directv will gladly take my money.

its very easy
-if locals are available you CANT get distants...period. Even if you dont sub to locals you can't get distants
-if locals werent available and you had distants and now locals are available you can keep the distants (grandfathered)
-if locals arent available in some markets there is a "blanket waiver" for some of the nets.
-if locals arent available and no blanket waiver is there you can try and submit a waiver

and even if you fell into any category other than #1 you would get LA....Law says you cant get an earlier timezone for distants

how do they get away with haveing WGN and wciu? as the I don't think the MLB, NHL, and NBA will like haveing the feeds on line like that when they sell them on there own.

how do they get away with haveing WGN and wciu? as the I don't think the MLB, NHL, and NBA will like haveing the feeds on line like that when they sell them on there own.

WCIU is only available in Chicago market
WGN is classified (under some old rules) as a "Superstation"...but remember, WGN (now WGN America) & WGN9 are two different channels with some similar programming. Good example is Blackhawks games...they're only on WGN9 and not on WGN America

I'm grandfathered in for the big four networks from both coasts. I pay DirecTV $3.50/month for each for the privilege. These were granted a whole bunch of years ago as I couldn't receive any analog OTA at the time. These are also the SD versions (used to be the ones in the 380s). Fast forward a few years when HD became available and DirecTV then turned on the 390s for me (east coast only). Now, since they moved the 380s SD to the 390s they turned on the west coast HD for me. Now we have most of our locals from DirecTV and I also have an antenna for the locals. I'll be keeping the DNS for as long as they let me. Having the west coast feed available can really help with recording conflicts. :)

Joe The Dragon said:
I was talking about ivi.tv having WCIU and WGN

They're paying the channel's carriage fees through some FCC program. They're in a legal battle with some of the networks over this, if you have time google it and check it out, it's pretty interesting. They have a very unique strategy to try to legally force these networks to play along. IMO, their arguments make a lot of sense and even better, the judge in the case actually seems sympathetic to their cause or at the least is giving them a real chance of having a fair fight.

I use this service and it's worked very well for me. I'm a Chicago native and have missed the U dearly!

They're paying the channel's carriage fees through some FCC program. They're in a legal battle with some of the networks over this, if you have time google it and check it out, it's pretty interesting. They have a very unique strategy to try to legally force these networks to play along. IMO, their arguments make a lot of sense and even better, the judge in the case actually seems sympathetic to their cause or at the least is giving them a real chance of having a fair fight.

I use this service and it's worked very well for me. I'm a Chicago native and have missed the U dearly!
Even if the judge ok them can the NBA, NHL, MLB still sue them for showing games out of market?

Well thanks for the info. To me this is a big piss off because im willing to pay for the extra channels they wont let me. It seems like the FCC and their no "out of market" has actually gone to far and hurting the networks. I would gladly keep my locals networks and the other networks would be making more money.

I read that if you do qualify for DNS they have to create a seperate account because it can not be mirrored onto other receivers. 1 account for DNS channels 390-399 and 1 account for all other networks. Can anyone confirm this?

It seems like the FCC and their no "out of market" has actually gone to far and hurting the networks.
Don't blame the FCC. Blame the NAB and their toadies in Congress.
I read that if you do qualify for DNS they have to create a seperate account because it can not be mirrored onto other receivers. 1 account for DNS channels 390-399 and 1 account for all other networks.
Sounds like you're talking about RV accounts. It is important not to confuse an RV account with a conventional residential customer account.

Joe The Dragon said:
Even if the judge ok them can the NBA, NHL, MLB still sue them for showing games out of market?

I'd imagine if and when they actually get an official green light from the gov't, they'll have to follow whatever blackout restrictions the leagues impose. I'm surprised they don't already do this, it sure would help them credibility-wise in the courtroom.

One possible solution would be creating an E* "locals only" account and provide a service address in NYC (you get the big 4, MNT, CW and ION). As to how long those will be on Conus, no one knows for sure. Just recently the Denver big 4 were moved to spotbeams.

I'm not suggesting the Sobongo route as to also no one knows for sure for how long they'll be in the DNS business at all.

I'm assuming there's no such thing as "locals only" with D*.

Another solution would be to provide a change of address and make it where they do not offer local channels and then they would have to give you DNS channels. They may need to send someone out to this address to confirm you cant receive locals but they may just check a list and say they know the area doesnt get locals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Long time DTV customer just moved to Plano.

Series recording confusion....what am I doing wrong?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)