OTA vs Satellite Quality

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jpa25

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
I'm new to D* and looking for a little help. My OTA PQ (even non-HD) is so much better than my D* reception on locals. Is this normal? My D* PQ is pretty poor for the most part.

Faded colors, somewhat grainy picture. I don't really know much about this stuff. My signal strengeths are 98%, 88%, 94% for the respective A,B,C satellites listed. Is that sufficient?

Also, I've tried digging through posts to determine Boston's status for local HDTV roll-out, but couldn't really find an answer. I can't get NBC, or Fox (FOOTBALL!!!!) on my OTA. And they look horrible over D* local.

Thanks for your time. Just trying to figure everything out.

I have never had a problem with PQ using D. You may want to make sure your connections are good. As to any difference in OTA and D. I can tell you that I get the East Coast locals from D as well as OTA. (same channels) The PQ is just a little bit better OTA. In fact I don't know of anyone that can tell the difference. Here's a link that you may find helpful for what's going on in Boston. It goes back quite far in time, but if you keep going it will bring you up to today. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=28454

Thanks Rocka. I'm pretty sure they're set, but I'll double check my connections. I'm also going to call CS and see if I can somehow get D* FoxHD. Really would like that for the upcoming football season.

At the very least make sure you are using svideo/componant or better for your connections. My father in law suffered through a year of PISS POOR pq even after I told him about 30 times to change to svideo or better. Finally he did and it was a 80% improvement. What he suffered through sounds exactly like what you are describing. Could be way off base though as well :)

I've got S-video for my tivo unit, and component for the HD unit. Double checked all the connections and settings; and they're good. Just poor reception I guess; I'll watch OTA whenever possible.

I haven't exactly been thrilled with D* so far. Poor reception, lack of HD, expensive extras (OK, just ST), and I'm still learing new channels. Its only been two months, and I hate to say it, but I prefer the overly expensive, non-existent CS from our cable company. Too bad my wife is boycotting them due to CS issues.

You should see my OTA PBS, mind blowing. D* and Charlie should use PBS as a benchmark.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Good bye D*

Really Dumb Question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)