Ordering new D* account have equipment questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

slavkinny

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
New York
I'm about to place a new order for the D* for and hope somebody can answer the following questions. I'm ordering Choice + Russian international package:
1. I can only have 6 tvs if ordering online. Is there a limit of the receivers I can have on my account?
2. A friend of mine has 4 old D10 receivers. Is it possible to add these to my account later after the installation?
3. If I'm getting SWM type receivers, will this setup work with my friend's older D10 receivers?

Thanks.

D10's will not work unless you have a SWM16 installed. From there you can use the legacy ports however, you're best to call directv and have them set up your account if you want more receivers. The D10's can't be activated on your account without new access cards sent for them and that's only if their owned receivers. Of they're leased you can't do a thing with them

To use the international dish you would have to have an external switch like a SWM8 or SWM16. Then the D10's would work via the legacy ports. You would have to pay $20 for new access cards (each).

That said, if you order them at the time of the install you will get newer D12's and I think they would be free, they generally won't charge for basic SD receivers.

I just placed an online order for 6 receivers (1 dvr, 3 hd, and 2 sd) and called them to add 2 more sd receivers but CR told me that I can only add them after the installation. Does anyone was able to order more then 6 receivers?

I just placed an online order for 6 receivers (1 dvr, 3 hd, and 2 sd) and called them to add 2 more sd receivers but CR told me that I can only add them after the installation. Does anyone was able to order more then 6 receivers?

My advice is not to wait until after installation. Maybe you'd be better off, canceling the order and then call to get everything you want. After the installation, you're a current customers and unfortunately as a current customer, you are going to have to pay more for any upgrades.

Why use old boxes when the promo should get you most of the new stuff for free? Also be aware that the base swm setup that is installed is only good for up to 8 tuners. This means that if you get a hr34 5 tuner dvr you can only have 3 other tvs in the house max before having to pay the $600 to get the swm16 installed... if you go with an older hr24 2 tuner dvr you can have up to 7 tvs before having to go to swm16 or if you just want 6 tvs then get two hr24s together for a total of 4 tuners that can record and still be able to have 4 other tuners.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Slava Berenshteyn said:

8 receivers????? Hmmmm ;)

scottydsntknow said:
Why use old boxes when the promo should get you most of the new stuff for free? Also be aware that the base swm setup that is installed is only good for up to 8 tuners. This means that if you get a hr34 5 tuner dvr you can only have 3 other tvs in the house max before having to pay the $600 to get the swm16 installed... if you go with an older hr24 2 tuner dvr you can have up to 7 tvs before having to go to swm16 or if you just want 6 tvs then get two hr24s together for a total of 4 tuners that can record and still be able to have 4 other tuners.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Directv don't charge $600 to have a SWM16 installed. If the work order requires it then its free. The only way you're paying for one is if you request one and then they'll prolly charge for one but at most $250

55' Sony Bravia, 42' Sony Bravia, 40' Insignia , HR-24 (x2), HR22, SWM16, PS3, iPad (3rd generation), Yamaha RX-V367, Harmony One

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FS1 First strike satelitte meter?

Dish w/local channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)