OLED advances

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
This article focuses on LG vs Samsung for dominance in this area. Interesting to note that they refer to "high production costs" when elsewhere I read that OLED has the potential to have the cheapest production costs- essentially to be built using ink jets. See AMOLED here.

And from this link, we see they can also be image sensors and photovoltaic devices:
"...Organic devices are particularly intriguing for image sensors because just by changing the voltage polarity on an oLED you can change it from a light source to a light sensor. For example, you could integrate a fingerprint sensor into a display: Touch the display, and verify not only the fingerprint, but also that the finger is living finger by its hemoglobin count, thereby foiling the authors of numerous movies and books whose bad guys trick identification units with severed body parts...."

It looks our future televisions will be laser / OLED / CNT. We will probably not see as many different technologies as we see today as it should become more standardized unless someone makes further development beyond this. I wonder what lies in our future beyond OLED / CNT? Whatever it is I am sure it will be microscopic or something we haven't even thought of before.

It looks our future televisions will be laser / OLED / CNT. We will probably not see as many different technologies as we see today as it should become more standardized unless someone makes further development beyond this. I wonder what lies in our future beyond OLED / CNT? Whatever it is I am sure it will be microscopic or something we haven't even thought of before.

Probably be a thin line CRT RPHDTV with 6 tubes.:rolleyes:

What would be neat is if they could come out with a television without any glass/material on the inside needed at all. One idea I thought of could be done in different ways. One could be like a picture frame that adjusts its heighth and width where the material collapses (tucks away) within itself like a batton does that way you can adjust the size of the display.

An advancement of that would be one on each side where it would reflect or detect the displayed image on the other side or transmit it from the other side without an object needed in the middle. These objects would be very very lightweight and easy to move from one place to another.

Or we could end up seeing everything that we ever need communications wise on a cell phone where it projections television, has the computer built inside which can also receive wireless portable internet, receives the television service from that internet service, and of course be able to use it to make phone calls. All of this from a small cell phone of the future. One could take a wireless keyboard with them (perhaps even one that folds out) to take with them to do the typing (heck maybe even have an inflatable one or something but that might be kind of weird) or have another display like a screen up on the table where it would display a keyboard for you to type on. Maybe the idea I have above could also be used to detect where the fingers are when doing typing on a surface.

What would be neat is if they could come out with a television without any glass/material on the inside needed at all. One idea I thought of could be done in different ways. One could be like a picture frame that adjusts its heighth and width where the material collapses (tucks away) within itself like a batton does that way you can adjust the size of the display.

An advancement of that would be one on each side where it would reflect or detect the displayed image on the other side or transmit it from the other side without an object needed in the middle. These objects would be very very lightweight and easy to move from one place to another.

Or we could end up seeing everything that we ever need communications wise on a cell phone where it projections television, has the computer built inside which can also receive wireless portable internet, receives the television service from that internet service, and of course be able to use it to make phone calls. All of this from a small cell phone of the future. One could take a wireless keyboard with them (perhaps even one that folds out) to take with them to do the typing (heck maybe even have an inflatable one or something but that might be kind of weird) or have another display like a screen up on the table where it would display a keyboard for you to type on. Maybe the idea I have above could also be used to detect where the fingers are when doing typing on a surface.

An inflatable one?Use to have one of those under my bed.:D

Anyone prepared to share their cable/satellite bill?

FiOS TV In California

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)