Old receiver died. Need help please.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

1oldsalt

Original poster
May 9, 2012
SoCal
I'll try to keep this simple. Had a couple electrical hiccups a last night. With the first one the Directv box shut off. Tried to turn it on but no green light. Unplugged the unit for a bit and still nothing. It was plugged in to a surge protector.
I took the unit apart and the fuse is good. Saw no burned components.

My parents have a similar receiver that has been sitting in the closet for years so I picked up that one and tried to connect it. No such luck. My card won't work in their box. So, I called Directv to get them to activate my card in their receiver. These boxes are old. So old that they have NO receiver ID number.

Now, the girl on the phone was just great and really tried her best to help. She was a bit of a tech nut. At first she said that her system wouldn't let her make the transfer of my card to my parents receiver since there was no RID. After she spoke to her supervisor he said while they can't reassign my card they can send out a new one for my parents receiver under my account. Since it was a different department she set everything up and transferred me.

Well, the little nimrod she transferred me to was having none of it. Said it can't be done. Of course, they can swap out the old box for a new one at no charge.

I don't want a new box. I like the old ones. I like the remote. I like the menu and guide. And until now, they just keep on working.

Does anyone know if there is somewhere that I can get my old box repaired? If I get it fixed I can still use my card in it as it is still active.

I found some old boxes online but the guy at Directv said they will no longer issue new cards or transfer cards on the older receivers.

Box info--
RCA model #DRD203RW

Thank you in advance for any help.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

Because they are old enough to not have an RID, Directv won't give you a new card. The csr was nice, but gave you wrong information. They will exchange your bad one for another unit at only the cost of shipping. They may even waive the $19.95 shipping cost if you ask them nice!

1oldsalt said:
I'll try to keep this simple. Had a couple electrical hiccups a last night. With the first one the Directv box shut off. Tried to turn it on but no green light. Unplugged the unit for a bit and still nothing. It was plugged in to a surge protector.
I took the unit apart and the fuse is good. Saw no burned components.

My parents have a similar receiver that has been sitting in the closet for years so I picked up that one and tried to connect it. No such luck. My card won't work in their box. So, I called Directv to get them to activate my card in their receiver. These boxes are old. So old that they have NO receiver ID number.

Now, the girl on the phone was just great and really tried her best to help. She was a bit of a tech nut. At first she said that her system wouldn't let her make the transfer of my card to my parents receiver since there was no RID. After she spoke to her supervisor he said while they can't reassign my card they can send out a new one for my parents receiver under my account. Since it was a different department she set everything up and transferred me.

Well, the little nimrod she transferred me to was having none of it. Said it can't be done. Of course, they can swap out the old box for a new one at no charge.

I don't want a new box. I like the old ones. I like the remote. I like the menu and guide. And until now, they just keep on working.

Does anyone know if there is somewhere that I can get my old box repaired? If I get it fixed I can still use my card in it as it is still active.

I found some old boxes online but the guy at Directv said they will no longer issue new cards or transfer cards on the older receivers.

Box info--
RCA model #DRD203RW

Thank you in advance for any help.

Like said, they're not and can't issue a new card for the receiver. I agree, old boxes are nice because they're like tanks but the "nimrod" wasn't being rude he was being honest

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TV Apps Initializing 301

MLB Extra Inning Feeds

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)