OK , I'm all set up w/ fta. Questions:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SATisfied

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Lineboro, MD
Let's see, I don't know where to start.... I somehow deleted all the transponders while scanning a sat. How do I get them back? Do I have to manually enter them from Lyngsats website? If so, this will be tedious.

Next.... I'm noticing some, and it looks like most of the channels audio/video are out of sync. Can this be corrected? Does the symbol rate have anything to do with it? Also, do all the sats use the same transponders?

There are some channels that Lyngsat says are on certain sats (Ku) like the Documentary Channel that I can't seem to get. I get other channels on different TP's but not that one. Do I need to tweak something? I'm starting to catch on but there is a lot to take in here, although I'm lovin' it.

I have the Captive Works cw600 receiver, and I don't see anywhere on the menus about auto DiSeQc. I've been using the USALS to find the sats. I did see the DiSeQc 1.2 option, but at the moment I'm not using a DiSeQc switch. I saw Iceberg's review and he said something about auto DiSeQc being a neat feature on this receiver. Do I need to upgrade the software ? How do you go about downloading the upgrades for this. I din't see anything on Captive Works website about it. Thanks for input.

SATisfied said:
Let's see, I don't know where to start.... I somehow deleted all the transponders while scanning a sat. How do I get them back? Do I have to manually enter them from Lyngsats website? If so, this will be tedious.
uh oh...yes you have to manually enter them back in

Next.... I'm noticing some, and it looks like most of the channels audio/video are out of sync. Can this be corrected? Does the symbol rate have anything to do with it? Also, do all the sats use the same transponders?
which ones are out of sync? symbol rate has nothing to do with sync. Its the PID's...I think there is a way to change PID's...lemme go check

There are some channels that Lyngsat says are on certain sats (Ku) like the Documentary Channel that I can't seem to get. I get other channels on different TP's but not that one. Do I need to tweak something? I'm starting to catch on but there is a lot to take in here, although I'm lovin' it.
it has to be DVB, not DCII. Also, if you have a 30" or so dish, you can get the 5 digit frequencies

I have the Captive Works cw600 receiver, and I don't see anywhere on the menus about auto DiSeQc. I've been using the USALS to find the sats. I did see the DiSeQc 1.2 option, but at the moment I'm not using a DiSeQc switch. I saw Iceberg's review and he said something about auto DiSeQc being a neat feature on this receiver. Do I need to upgrade the software ? How do you go about downloading the upgrades for this. I din't see anything on Captive Works website about it. Thanks for input.
It comes with the original software but its been so long I dont remember how it worked....memory goes bad after reviewing so many receivers :)
I think kthe auto diseqc senses what satellite you're on by going through the transponder list to find the signals.

SATisfied said:
Also, has anyone heard anything else about the blind scan upgrade to the CW600 receiver?

they had one upgrade that supposedly had blind scan but it never worked. I dont think they have corrected it

it would scan for a minute or so then lock the box up :(

SATisfied said:

Duh...I guess it would help if I were to use a diseqc switch for the this feature to work...pardon my ignorance.

OK found out how ot change PIDS

-menu
-install
-antenna setup
-go to the satellite with the channel in question
-hit OK to select it
-scroll down to the transponder list and find that TP
-hit yellow button (edit PIDS)
-select the channel
-hit OK
-change PIDS.....usually the video & PCR should be the same..change it
-hit OK

rinse and repeat if necessary :)

SATisfied said:
Duh...I guess it would help if I were to use a diseqc switch for the this feature to work...pardon my ignorance.

no problem...there's a reason I dont have hair...can't say blonde moment :D

Thanks for the quick reply Iceberg. I appreciate the info. About the transponders...I tried scanning the C band on IA6 just to see what would happen, and the next thing I notice is that all the TP's disappeared. I won't do that again.

weird...haven t had that happen...

sometimes a power off (switch on back) and power back on solves most issues :)

SATisfied said:
PID's...bear with me...what are they?

its either packet ID or pocket ID...I forget

basically the numbers to bring in the audio & video of a digital signal. The old analog signal was one channel per transponder. Digital they pack 3, 6, maybe 12 or more channels per transponder. Since there is a lot, they have to distinguish which channel is which. So they use PID's. It will say like
Video-262
Audio-268
PCR-262

for fun, check the PIDs on some channels. Use the steps in my post before and see the PID's...if you exit out it won't save any changes.

Try and change the PCR (3rd one) to the same as the Video. That might help the sync issue. Another option is delete the channel and rescan.

I also edited the FEC #. Most are set @ 3/4, but you can change this value up or down. I did, to see if it would help w/ the sync and it did seem to fix FOX but nothing else. On some changes the picture went away. On some the audio. I was gonna do the PID/PCR fix you gave me, but I couldn't remember what you said to do without the computer nearby to refer to. I'll try that next.

Off the subject, I was trying to set up my true south with a compass and was having trouble w/ the compass going haywire every time it got close to the dish or rotor, so I devised a way to accomplish this by tying a cord around the mast ( which was perfectly plumb ) and stretching it southward while pointing the compass toward the center of the dish/lnb and aligning the centerline of the compass with the cord. My azimuth was 180 degrees and my true south was 191.
So with the compass set at 191 degrees I just swung the cord around until the needle was lined up in the arrow. Now I could point the dish perfectly to true south. I don't know if this technique has been used before, but I thought I would share it.

SATisfied said:
I also edited the FEC #. Most are set @ 3/4, but you can change this value up or down. I did, to see if it would help w/ the sync and it did seem to fix FOX but nothing else. On some changes the picture went away. On some the audio. I was gonna do the PID/PCR fix you gave me, but I couldn't remember what you said to do without the computer nearby to refer to. I'll try that next.
yes you can change the FEC...SOmetimes I change it to "auto" and rescan the channel. That might help too.

Off the subject, I was trying to set up my true south with a compass and was having trouble w/ the compass going haywire every time it got close to the dish or rotor, so I devised a way to accomplish this by tying a cord around the mast ( which was perfectly plumb ) and stretching it southward while pointing the compass toward the center of the dish/lnb and aligning the centerline of the compass with the cord. My azimuth was 180 degrees and my true south was 191.
So with the compass set at 191 degrees I just swung the cord around until the needle was lined up in the arrow. Now I could point the dish perfectly to true south. I don't know if this technique has been used before, but I thought I would share it.
since the motor/mast are metal it goofs up compass readings. I do like your idea with the string. :)
Might have to use that next time I aim a dish

When you say "rescan the channel", do you mean rescan the satellite, or just the channel? I'm not sure I can just rescan one channel.

I have another question...I see on Lyngsat that some of the free channels are on "digicipher" format. What kind of receiver picks that up?

Iceberg said:
you can scan the transponder

go to that transponder and hit blue button to scan

I think I tried that and it kept on going thru all the others. I guess I can just hit stop after it scans the one TP.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fortec 786NA - How to add a satellite

multi-switch?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)