Not Dish Specific...Optical Audio

ShadowEKU

Expert in the Making
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 13, 2004
Frankfort, KY
Ok.. I am getting a 522 tomorrow.. it has the capability of 5.1 or PCM through its optical audio out. well my XBox (which i play dvd's on) also uses an optical out to do DD 5.1 or pcm. My reciever only allows 1 Optical cable at a time. Im not in the financial standing to go buy a 200+ dollar reciever jsut for 2 optical in's what (if anything) is on the market for not too much money that i can use to switch between the two or am i up a creek?

ShadowEKU said:
Ok.. I am getting a 522 tomorrow.. it has the capability of 5.1 or PCM through its optical audio out. well my XBox (which i play dvd's on) also uses an optical out to do DD 5.1 or pcm. My reciever only allows 1 Optical cable at a time. Im not in the financial standing to go buy a 200+ dollar reciever jsut for 2 optical in's what (if anything) is on the market for not too much money that i can use to switch between the two or am i up a creek?

You can pickup relatively inexpensive optical splitters at places like Radio Shack as well as cheap devices that will convert a digital coaxial input on your receiver (if it has this) to another digial optical in. There are also switchboxes at places like Gamestop and Electronics Boutique for around $79.00 which allow you to hookup four or five game systems/dvd players/etc... with component, s-video, digital optical, and ethernet switching if you don't mind spending a little more. You could always trade in some older games or dvds for store credit to apply towards it.

http://gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=801668

Both of those are perfect... will probably go with the box that has all the imputs... why? becuase as it is now i get up push a button for game/dvd/whatever, turn a dial on the reciever to select input, turn on x device, switch input on tv... both the reciever and tv input can be done via remote... but if im up... adding another switch jsut for the optical is a little eccentric. I wanted something under 100 and the system selecter is perfect... kudos and thanks.

Able to determine Dish 500 type from system information?

Installing a 721 DVR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)