Non-Traditional Dish Wiring Question, Complicated for Me, Please Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Phasers

Original poster
May 26, 2011
USA
Hey guys. Long time lurker, first time poster. I appreciate everything I've learned over the years here, so thanks! Anyway on to my quesiton.

I have a DirecTV account based out of Miami, and I also have a home in Haiti. When I go to Haiti, I currently have a 6 ft round dish pointed at the 101 satellite, and I get all the SD channels. I have 3 more 6 ft dishes on the roof, which are currently not pointed at anything. I also have some 8ft dishes I could swap out if needed.

What I would like to do is get HD channels in Haiti. For HD channels, I understand from reading over the years, that I would need to pick up the 99 and 103 satellites, in addition to the 101.

My question is this: Is it possible to, with 3 dishes, point at each of the 3 satellites individually, and then run 3 different cables from the 3 dishes and combine the 99, 101, and 103 dish cables into 1 master signal feeder cable, which I would then split off into the different recievers? If so what equipment would I need aside from the 3 dishes with their single LNBs? a Multiswitch? A Splitter? Etc.

Follow-up question: Assuming, that is indeed possible, is there anyway to have a SWM/legacy mixed type system with this setup so I could get 2 tuners with one wire?

Essentially what I'd like to have eventually is this setup:

3 Dishes (3 wires) --> Signal Combiner --> 1 Wire --> Mixed SWM/Legacy Splitter --> Recievers (both SWM and non-swm, more than 8 tuners)

SWM 16 Install Question

Hey all,

Quick question. Is it possible to have 3 physical single LNB dishes go into a SWM16 module. For example, if I have 3 dishes, one pointed at 99, one at 101, and one at 103, can I use the SWM16 to combine the signal? If so would I run the 99/103 dishes to the flex ports of the SWM16, or would I just run one cable to each input and leave the 4th input port + the flex ports empty? Or should I run two cables from each LNB/dish and use all 6 ports, including the flex ports? or should I use a multiswitch to combine the signals beforehand? Is there even a multiswitch that will combine 3 satellites into one?

Slimline multiLNB setup isn't an option, and I already have 3 dishes setup, each one pointed at a different satellite.

Thanks!

No, you can't do this. The DirecTV stack plan has 99/101 signals together into the SWM16, and the 103/110/119 signals together. These connect to the 99/101 18v and 13v connections, and the 103/110/119 18v and 13v connections. The flexports only work with the signals from the 72.5 and 95 satellites.
Even if you had the correct LNBs on the dishes (HD uses Ka frequencies which a conventional LNB will not receive) the chances are you are so far out of the HD coverage (much narrower than for SD) that you would not get a signal anyway, even with a 6ft dish, and then you would not have any way of combining them properly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Question about old receivers

Getting DirecTv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)