No splitter with HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ned4sped

Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
I am switching from Comcast to DirecTV. My home is less than 2 years old. The builder has the cable come in from the ground floor then go to the attic. From there the cable is distributed throughout the house. I need the dish to be on the back of the roof (association rules), and the box to be in the basement (3 floors).

I had a installer come out and he said that DirecTv does not work with a splitter. My question is why? I have a HD DVR through comcast ( the motorola box ) and the signal quality is good. I called DirecTv today and got this response from the girl that answered the phone. "Only our SD signals can go through a splitter." Why?

I just want to be able to use the existing cable in my home. I have switched to DSL, so nothing will be on the line.

SD signals can't even go through a splitter.

Each receiver needs a direct connection to the LNB or multiswitch.

Cable and satellite work much differently.

I could get into details if you want, but the important thing is that you CANNOT use a splitter. (Well, there's times you can, but not for what you're doing).

SD, HD, doesn't matter. No splitters.

There is only goign to be one receiver ( HD DVR ) conected. I was trying to use the existing cable. with out having to drill new holes. I live in the chicago area, and would like the holes in my insulation to a minimum

There is only goign to be one receiver ( HD DVR ) conected. I was trying to use the existing cable. with out having to drill new holes. I live in the chicago area, and would like the holes in my insulation to a minimum

I suppose you could try using a Multiswitch in the attic where the splitter is located, it's not the perfect solution, but it may work for you.
If your into the HD stuff , it sounds like you are, you will need a WB 6x8 switch.

Before you do that, lets see what others have to say ....
Also guys, would he have to run all 4 lines to the MS ?
I know I normally do that, but it that a requirement, does it have to be done that way ?

Jimbo

No use for a multiswitch with less than four tuners.

You could wait for the single wire multiswitch, that would do what you want. Or utilise only one tuner of the DVR.

Before you do that, lets see what others have to say ....
Also guys, would he have to run all 4 lines to the MS ?
I know I normally do that, but it that a requirement, does it have to be done that way ?

Jimbo

Yes, it does. In order to receive all 5 sats, and get all of the new HD programming, you need all 4 inputs to the MS (or use the built in MS)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NFLHD looks like crap!!!

NY Rangers in HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)