No HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rvroadrats@yahoo.com

Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
I am trying to mate a HR 21/200 receiver with a phase 3 18x20 dish so I can take it on the road with me in my RV. I have it set up with the correct skew and have a good signal (96) on the 101 sat. I have the receiver set up for the 18 x 20 dish, multi switch, and single tuner.

The Installation Status screen looks like I am receiving the 101, 110, and 119 sats – all boxes are checked except the 110 odd box which is blank. When the program guide downloads it does not show any HD channels – it is no different than my little 18 inch single lnb. What am I missing? Is this receiver not compatible with the phase 3 dish? Taking the giant slimline dish with me and setting it up every few days is not an option for me.

you cant get HD with a standard PhaseIII dish/LNB.. pick up a 2nd SlimLine AU9-SL3 (22.5 in. x 32.5 in. isnt "giant")

Last edited:
To elaborate on Charper's post.
Your HD are on the 99 and 103 Sats and the Phase 3 doesn't see those Sats
You need the correct LNB ...that said, if you took your SL LNB and altered the Phase 3, you could do it, but your signals would not be as good and your overall dish size is much smaller with the Phase 3.

I take a SL3 with me and store it in the Motorhome, doesn't take any longer to set up than the Phase 3.

As others have correctly mentioned..........that dish will not get you HD these days.

My advice is examine whether you really need HD in your RV. The SD 18" dish is EZ to set up & tune + small & light. Even keeping your Phase III has some merit....the arm comes on and off easily for EZ packing.

Just a thought.

Joe

As others have correctly mentioned..........that dish will not get you HD these days.

My advice is examine whether you really need HD in your RV. The SD 18" dish is EZ to set up & tune + small & light. Even keeping your Phase III has some merit....the arm comes on and off easily for EZ packing.

Just a thought.

Joe

I use the SL3 and take the reflector off (4 bolts) and then it's down to something you can actually store ...

I use the SL3 and take the reflector off (4 bolts) and then it's down to something you can actually store ...

Ah!

Didn't think of that...........and using wing nuts on the four bolts would even eliminate the need for tools; could be ok! Still, the need for a plumb mast and precise azimuth aim is still part of the HD installation. I tend to error on the side of simplicity with this stuff. And since this is all going to happen on an RV that changes locations there will still be times when the AZ, EL & TILT will have to be adjusted...it is at that point where I predict the set up will take on new and difficult issues.

For sure, removing the reflector does simplify running up and down the road.

Joe

Ah!

Didn't think of that...........and using wing nuts on the four bolts would even eliminate the need for tools; could be ok! Still, the need for a plumb mast and precise azimuth aim is still part of the HD installation. I tend to error on the side of simplicity with this stuff. And since this is all going to happen on an RV that changes locations there will still be times when the AZ, EL & TILT will have to be adjusted...it is at that point where I predict the set up will take on new and difficult issues.

For sure, removing the reflector does simplify running up and down the road.

Joe

You can always get one of the set ups that automatically finds the signals .... IF you can afford them !

You can always get one of the set ups that automatically finds the signals .... IF you can afford them !

Jimbo,
Probably time for me to look at those again. My last look was several years ago and at that time they were $$$$$$ and would work with parked vehicles and boats at anchor. The ones I saw specifically said no HD. I can understand how this could be true. You are actually using the 101 sat to tune & find the 99 or 103 sats but are using signals from at least two sats most of the time so the tuning is pretty exact for a lock. I am seeing more SD dishes in truck stops and marinas. HD is a precise tune.

Joe

I actually had a service call at a house and they was using one in the driveway for guests. The RV had a slimline 5 on it. It was a matter of popping in a zip code and it did its thing. He gave $2,800 for it about 5 years ago he said

I actually had a service call at a house and they was using one in the driveway for guests. The RV had a slimline 5 on it. It was a matter of popping in a zip code and it did its thing. He gave $2,800 for it about 5 years ago he said

Was that HD ?
I'm guessing it wasn't seeing you said 5 years ago.
Do you know what the make was on it ?

Yes it was HD, he said it was "top of the line" when he bought it. He's only had to swap the LNB on it since he bought it. It is a slimline 5. Winegard made it, it was actually a really nice set up

Yes it was HD, he said it was "top of the line" when he bought it. He's only had to swap the LNB on it since he bought it. It is a slimline 5. Winegard made it, it was actually a really nice set up

Wow, A winegard that had HD 5 years ago, thats impressive, also the reason it was so pricy :(

Jimbo said:
Wow, A winegard that had HD 5 years ago, thats impressive, also the reason it was so pricy :(

I personally don't believe it was 5 years old. I would guess maybe 3-4 but leaning more towards 3

they have been around a while, I have a bud with one as well: Satellite RV - Winegard TRAV'LER Automatic Multi-Satellite HDTV Antennas

I was just looking at the link and it looked very good, however, I don't see a current price and the page said they were available at CampingWorld, thier web site did not list this one.

Any ideas on a current price ?

Edit:
Ok, found it at a different Camping World website, looks like they are still at $ 1600

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/...4068&rewrote&gclid=CN-V-fLixK8CFUfc4AodIUbQcA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

101 satellite down?

Which Cinema kit do I need?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)