No HD SB Confirm w/ Director of Corporate Communications Part II

joeylberry

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
OK I sent the same message to a few people Here is a reply I got back from someone else.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mr. Berry,

Thank you for your correspondence. If the Super Bowl is being broadcasted in HD and you have the equipment to pick up the HD programming then you will receive it. If you have any questions please let us know.

Thanks,

Judd Strickland

Executive Office of DISH Network

Direct: 720-514-8738

Email: Judd.Strickland@echostar.com

I Sent this in reply to the above message
Judd,

Thank you for your reply. I do have HD equipment and the super bowl is being broadcast in HD according to Fox. Right now Dish does not send any of the local channels in HD format they are all in SD format. Do you know if Dish is going to offer the super bowl in HD format on the local channel or if it will be offered as a PPV event? Thank you in advance for your time.

Respectfully,

Joey Berry
This was sent around 6 pm central time on Wednesday I still have not heard back..... I will post a reply if I get one... I say we all leave dish ASAP if they can not come through maybe they should ask Comcast and direct how they did it... I am sure they just don’t want to pay the amount fox is asking I mean come on even your customers happiness does have a price limit who cares about the super bowl when they just added a fourth polish channel yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-haaaaaaaa http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=dish&script=410&layout=-6&item_id=670191

joeylberry said:
If the Super Bowl is being broadcasted in HD and you have the equipment to pick up the HD programming then you will receive it.

Actually, they are correct, in a way. IF you have an antenna and are receiving a Fox signal over that antenna, you will be able to watch the Super Bowl in HD, provided you have an 811 or 921. So, they are not clueless, just not truly informative. :rolleyes:

dan_in_brooklyn said:
I think Judd is clueless... Nice work though. Dan

Judd Strickland took over for Jason Utz at the executive offices while Jason is "spending 5 weeks looking for a new apartment". I have corresponded with both of them recently and both gave me what turned out to be false information. While it's entirely possible the fault lies higher up the food chain, what they told me was none the less misleading and ultimately not true.

My sense is they're all being told to scramble and say whatever to keep the churn down but don't really commit to anything.

Why is everyone assuming the fault for no SB in HD lies with E*. NewsCorp owns FOX, and D*. FOX is broadcasting the SB. E* is a competitor. Why should NewsCorp let their competitor have ANY programming if it's not to their own advantage, unless forced to by government regulations?

Part of the DirecTV buyout regs were that Fox could not be a holdout to competitors. Thye had to offer it for a reasonable price, the same as they pay themselves. Yeah, I know that sounds funny, but they do pay themselves. It's the way big business works.

Bobby said:
Part of the DirecTV buyout regs were that Fox could not be a holdout to competitors. Thye had to offer it for a reasonable price, the same as they pay themselves. Yeah, I know that sounds funny, but they do pay themselves. It's the way big business works.
Yeah, Fox (owned by R.M.) probably sold the coverage rights to DirecTV (owned by R.M.) for $10,000,000.00/second. Then, DirecTV pays this out of the deep, deep pockets that bought them, which then goes right back into the same pocket.

Then, when Dish comes along, Fox says, "Here'$ what DirecTV i$ paying, you match it; we have a deal..." :D :D :D

Bobby said:
Actually, they are correct, in a way. IF you have an antenna and are receiving a Fox signal over that antenna, you will be able to watch the Super Bowl in HD, provided you have an 811 or 921. So, they are not clueless, just not truly informative. :rolleyes:
or 6000 with ota adapter

mdonnelly said:
Why is everyone assuming the fault for no SB in HD lies with E*. NewsCorp owns FOX, and D*. FOX is broadcasting the SB. E* is a competitor. Why should NewsCorp let their competitor have ANY programming if it's not to their own advantage, unless forced to by government regulations?
Very doubtful. If News Corp/DirecTV was up to something, Charlie would sue them faster than you could say "compelling content". The man is responsible for more suits than Armani.

I too have had a couple of emails from Marc Lumpkin and he has confirmed that there will be no HD feed for the SB this year. He keeps saying "Dish does not have permission from Fox".

Anyway, he did sound reseptive to my idea of at least trying to put up a decent 480 widescreen feed and was going to pass that on to engineering but then he mentioned that they might not have the bandwith, to which I replied "where were you going to get the BW if Fox had given "permission" for the SB ?

I really don't know what to believe at this point. Maybe if enough of us contacted Dish today, we could convince them to do a 480. widescreen feed, which I bet would look pretty darn good - a whole lot better than most LIL Fox signals.

Dude, they can't carry the superbowl in hd due to contracting not bandwidth. So they wouldn't be able to carry a widescreen feed either... Anything they added they'd need permission and fox isn't giving.

DVR 522 event history said it recorded - but no show to watch?

Should I get a 522 or another 510?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)