Newbie to Dish 522 - need help

mom2boys

Original poster
Aug 26, 2004
We just had this installed on Monday so I am just getting used to it. But the question I have is that I can't get my kids Playstation 2 to work on their TV in their bedroom - theirs is TV2. I have the Sat cord plugged into the VCR and then the VCR plugged into the TV and then the Playstation 2 plugged into the VCR but I just can't get it to work. :confused:

I have tried everything I can think of but just don't get it. Do I have to unplug the Sat cord just so they can play the game system and if I do that will that create any problems with it not being plugged in for a couple of hours??

Any help Appreciated!!!! ;)

mom2boys said:
We just had this installed on Monday so I am just getting used to it. But the question I have is that I can't get my kids Playstation 2 to work on their TV in their bedroom - theirs is TV2. I have the Sat cord plugged into the VCR and then the VCR plugged into the TV and then the Playstation 2 plugged into the VCR but I just can't get it to work. :confused:
Any help Appreciated!!!! ;)

This is an open ended question. More information is needed about HOW the components are hooked together.

Assuming the TV2 from the 522 is an RG59 cable that threads into the back of the VCR then RG59 goes from the VCR to the TV.

THE PS2 you should use composite (Plug-in's) that are RED/WHITE/YELLOW and hook that to the [LINE IN] of the VCR or if the TV has a LINE input in the back besides the CABLE threaded connector you could use that.

Remember your 522 broadcasts from channel 21-69 so you would have to tune to channel 3/4 or LINE to get the PS2 to work.

Hope you aren't more cornfuzzled.... :what

"Sat cord" you mean the TV2 output from the 522 I assume.

No reason for that to be an issue - it's just another input to the VCR. Off the top of my head, you just have to select the correct VCR input.

Put another way, assuming the PS2 worked before, what else changed when you hooked everything up?

Im going to assume that the only things going into the TV is the coax and the power cord. On the VCR there should be a cable coming to the Ant In on the VCR (this should carry the output from the Reciever (tv2)) a set of cables coming from the PS2 are going to the input on the vcr. and a cable going from the TV out on the vcr to the ant in of the tv (the afformentioned cable)

Most VCR's output on channel 3 or 4. the TV 2 outputs on much higher channels (whatever its set to).

A question I must ask:

Is the TV tuned to the channel that the Reciever is set to or is the VCR tuned to that channel and the tv tuned to 3/4(output of vcr)? Basicly is the TV on channel 3/4 or some really high channel?

After you answer that question I can help you finish.

this is really easy but you have to do it right to get it done. Its not a big deal once you se ethe system in use you will totally understand.

ShadowEKU said:
Im going to assume that the only things going into the TV is the coax and the power cord. On the VCR there should be a cable coming to the Ant In on the VCR (this should carry the output from the Reciever (tv2)) a set of cables coming from the PS2 are going to the input on the vcr. and a cable going from the TV out on the vcr to the ant in of the tv (the afformentioned cable)

Most VCR's output on channel 3 or 4. the TV 2 outputs on much higher channels (whatever its set to).

A question I must ask:

Is the TV tuned to the channel that the Reciever is set to or is the VCR tuned to that channel and the tv tuned to 3/4(output of vcr)? Basicly is the TV on channel 3/4 or some really high channel?

After you answer that question I can help you finish.

this is really easy but you have to do it right to get it done. Its not a big deal once you se ethe system in use you will totally understand.

The TV is tuned to channel 60 - which is what the receiver is set to. But funny enough - I got a reply back from Tech Support and they told me that the 522 Receiver is not compatible with the Playstation 2 - so basically I would have to unhook the Sat and then hookup the PS2 to get it to work.

HMMM - still confused here as to whether it will actually work or not.

SimpleSimon said:
"Sat cord" you mean the TV2 output from the 522 I assume.

No reason for that to be an issue - it's just another input to the VCR. Off the top of my head, you just have to select the correct VCR input.

Put another way, assuming the PS2 worked before, what else changed when you hooked everything up?

By Sat cord - I was meaning the coax cord from the wall. That's the only thing that changed was that I can't get their PS2 to work :confused:

Mark_AR said:
This is an open ended question. More information is needed about HOW the components are hooked together.

Assuming the TV2 from the 522 is an RG59 cable that threads into the back of the VCR then RG59 goes from the VCR to the TV.

THE PS2 you should use composite (Plug-in's) that are RED/WHITE/YELLOW and hook that to the [LINE IN] of the VCR or if the TV has a LINE input in the back besides the CABLE threaded connector you could use that.

Remember your 522 broadcasts from channel 21-69 so you would have to tune to channel 3/4 or LINE to get the PS2 to work.

Hope you aren't more cornfuzzled.... :what

Gosh I guess I am not very good at giving needed information about this am I :eek:

You are right my 522 broadcasts from Channel 60 - so I did try it by tuning to channel 3 which is what the PS2 used to be on but alas no luck so far.

The only other thing that I have noticed is that when I took the coax cord that was hooked from the wall to the TV and then changed it to where it was hooked into the VCR - boy the picture when you turn on the VCR goes really fuzzy. HMM

mom2boys said:
Gosh I guess I am not very good at giving needed information about this am I :eek:

You are right my 522 broadcasts from Channel 60 - so I did try it by tuning to channel 3 which is what the PS2 used to be on but alas no luck so far.

The only other thing that I have noticed is that when I took the coax cord that was hooked from the wall to the TV and then changed it to where it was hooked into the VCR - boy the picture when you turn on the VCR goes really fuzzy. HMM

Tech Support fed you a line of something that I cant say.....

Here is what you should do... try this first... let us know what happens.

Make sure TV 2 is turned on while doing this

Leave everything hooked up as it is now... Easy right?

..Hook the Sat cord from wall into the ANT in on the VCR.
..Hook the PS@ to the Inputs on the VCR (make sure its marked IN)
..Hook the TV out cable from VCR into the TV
..Tune the TV to Channel 3/4 (Whichever the switch in the back of the VCR is set to)
..Turn the VCR on (it should create a blue screen or anotehr color screen on the tv)(if it doesnt look at the remote and hit the TV/VCR button)(once this step is dont the VCR becomes the Dominant Tuner)
..Change the channel ON THE VCR to channel 60 (you may have to use an auto program for it to find it)(this should display wahtever channel is on the 522's TV 2 at the moment)(if not something is not hooked up properly)

Now.. if there is an Input button or line in button on the vcr use it to get to the Input that the ps2 is hooked to (this should display the ps2)

Now it should simply be a metter of switching back and forthe between the two.

I need to ask another question now... does the PS2 hook into the tv or vcr using the recular coax (like the one coming out of the wall) or the 3 colored connectors Yellow Red and White? If its the first one I can make this easier and this probably doesnt make sense if its the first one. Just let me know and Ill try to draw a diagram.

In case you are wondering i am an AVID gamer I have a PS2 in my office, a Gamecube, Xbox and Ps2 in my living room and a Gamecube in the bedroom (for the wife)

ShadowEKU said:
Tech Support fed you a line of something that I cant say.....

Here is what you should do... try this first... let us know what happens.

Make sure TV 2 is turned on while doing this

Leave everything hooked up as it is now... Easy right?

..Hook the Sat cord from wall into the ANT in on the VCR.
..Hook the PS@ to the Inputs on the VCR (make sure its marked IN)
..Hook the TV out cable from VCR into the TV
..Tune the TV to Channel 3/4 (Whichever the switch in the back of the VCR is set to)
..Turn the VCR on (it should create a blue screen or anotehr color screen on the tv)(if it doesnt look at the remote and hit the TV/VCR button)(once this step is dont the VCR becomes the Dominant Tuner)
..Change the channel ON THE VCR to channel 60 (you may have to use an auto program for it to find it)(this should display wahtever channel is on the 522's TV 2 at the moment)(if not something is not hooked up properly)

Now.. if there is an Input button or line in button on the vcr use it to get to the Input that the ps2 is hooked to (this should display the ps2)

Now it should simply be a metter of switching back and forthe between the two.

I need to ask another question now... does the PS2 hook into the tv or vcr using the recular coax (like the one coming out of the wall) or the 3 colored connectors Yellow Red and White? If its the first one I can make this easier and this probably doesnt make sense if its the first one. Just let me know and Ill try to draw a diagram.

In case you are wondering i am an AVID gamer I have a PS2 in my office, a Gamecube, Xbox and Ps2 in my living room and a Gamecube in the bedroom (for the wife)

Yes the PS2 hooks into the VCR using the 3 colored connectors - it has no coax cord to it at all. I am going to try what you have suggested - and I can't say Thank You enough for all of your help!!!! ;)

Will give it a try later today. Then will come back and post to let you know if I have success with it or not!!!

Hope you have a Fantastic Friday!!!!

Good Deal... if it goes wrong you might want to send me a PM as on fridays after work I usually dont hit the internet again till late night. But since you answered my question the way I hoped you should be good to go.

ShadowEKU said:
Good Deal... if it goes wrong you might want to send me a PM as on fridays after work I usually dont hit the internet again till late night. But since you answered my question the way I hoped you should be good to go.

Well we have success here - Thanx to all of your help!!!!! You are so awesome!!!!! :cool:

My guess is that Tech Support doesn't know which end is up!!!! I have just written them a nasty letter letting them know exactly how I feel!!! :mad:

mom2boys said:
Well we have success here - Thanx to all of your help!!!!! You are so awesome!!!!! :cool:

My guess is that Tech Support doesn't know which end is up!!!! I have just written them a nasty letter letting them know exactly how I feel!!! :mad:

You just played a bad game of CSR roulette and if it isnt hooked up to their spec sheet they are generally clueless. If you asked them what a composite or svideo hook up was like theyd probably have hung up on you :D

But yes dish tech support is sad for troubleshooting something not to do with their equipment :no

If you have any other problems feel free to post here.... its what most of us like to do (help ppl)

So it should go like this...

Turn the TV to channel 3/4 so that the VCR can play a tape and it works.

THEN switch the VCR to whatever channel/line-in/aux input it needs in order to display the PS2.

That simple, right?

My first thought was that you were trying to play a DVD movie on your PS2. That shouldn't work through any VCR due to copyright protection.

rolandv said:

THEN switch the VCR to whatever channel/line-in/aux input it needs in order to display the PS2.

That simple, right?

My first thought was that you were trying to play a DVD movie on your PS2. That shouldn't work through any VCR due to copyright protection.

You may be a little late with your answers... read up 2 posts from here :D

rolandv said:

That simple, right?

Well funny enough - it does both play games and dvd's through the VCR - woo hoo!!!!

Heed some help

No IR for TV2 is a Problem .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)