newbie question - Samsung SIR-S300W

Status
Please reply by conversation.

robinsonjas

Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
NWA
My market has just upgraded to locals in HD.
I have a HR-21 receiver in my living room and 2 dishes outside.
Slimline 5lnb and a single lnb dish. I assume the single lnb dish is no longer needed since locals are in HD now but could be wrong.
On to my question. I have bought a Samsung SIR-S300W and placed it in a spare bedroom, it has a single sat-in connection. I activated the card and get almost every channel, only missing locals (with the exception of 'CW' channel - which puzzles me).
Is ther ANY possible way to get locals thru this reciever, or have I thrown a few bucks down the drain.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
-Thanks!

My market has just upgraded to locals in HD.
I have a HR-21 receiver in my living room and 2 dishes outside.
Slimline 5lnb and a single lnb dish. I assume the single lnb dish is no longer needed since locals are in HD now but could be wrong.
On to my question. I have bought a Samsung SIR-S300W and placed it in a spare bedroom, it has a single sat-in connection. I activated the card and get almost every channel, only missing locals (with the exception of 'CW' channel - which puzzles me).
Is ther ANY possible way to get locals thru this reciever, or have I thrown a few bucks down the drain.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
-Thanks!

Does this box have an OTA tuner in it ?
This is a very old box that is strictly MPEG2 technology, granted it will probably be a year or so before everything is moved to Mpeg4, your usage is somewhat limited. It will only get the HD channels in the 70's, you'll have to use your HR21 for the rest of your HD channels.
Why did you buy such an old unit ?
D* generally just about gives away the basic mpeg4 rec's.

As for the second dish, I would hang on to it for awhile yet, it all depends on what market you are in as to if the locals are all on the other sats now, the second dish probably pointed to the 72* sat, if your locals are no longer coming from that dish then you can go ahead and take it down, but I would verify this before removing it.

Jimbo

Thanks for the reply. I just wanted standard def in this room, so I thought I could get the standard def versions of all my channels w/ this receiver.
The old dish is pointed at 72...does this mean no locals at all w/ this receiver???
I dont understand getting the CW channel though??

If Directv has moved your SD locals from 72.5 to one of the Ka satellites, that would explain it. If you call and ask, they may give you a new compatible receiver (R22) as a replacement.

Thanks, I checked the SIR-S300W and it has OTA, I guess that might do if I can figure out how to get OTA and Sat together on same TV Input???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Installation Help

From HR-21 to Laptop?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)