Newbi to this wild world of Sat

timlab1955

Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
Myerstown pa
I'm kinda of lost in all this and I'm hoping someone out there can help me. First off, is there anyplace that you can watch TV channels on your computer or live shows? Secondly, I would like to know if it's true that you can hook up a external hard drive to a Dish Network 211K or 211? And third, how can I get a setup that will allow me to:
a. Watch Monday night football and tape another program on a different channel in room A.
b. And the wife can watch her horse shows in another room?
Fourth: Well Dish allow you to out right buy a receiver and add it to your account and if so does anyone know the monthly charge?

Thanks

Yes, extensive with Dish in various ways.
Yes, you can hook up an external drive to a 211K
Get two receivers to a and b
You can buy your own receiver, but not from Dish. You will not avoid any DVR fees, etc... however.

Hi and :welcometo Sat Guys. I will be happy to assist you! Yes, there are websites such as Hula where you can watch TV shows as well as just about every broadcaster has their programming available on there websites.

Yes, a VIP211 or 211k can have an external hard drive added to them after a one time $40.00 fee is paid to DISH Network and that feature is enabled on the account.

You can a set up to do just about anything. You can get 3 solo receivers or a duo DVR and a solo receiver.

Yes, additional receivers can be added to an account. The fee for each additional receiver beyond the primary will range from $7.00 to $17.00 depending on the receiver functions.

Please just let me know if you have any additional questions!!

Thanks to you all who has charmed in. Any recommendations on who to purchase a 211 or 211K from? Also, how can I get an email when someone answers one of my dumb question? Also, I had visited sites like ABC, NBC AND etc. and noticed these are all video taped. Wondering if there any sites that have live shows.

No, they do broadcast live on the web. DISH Network does have the Sling available that will allow you to view your programming remotely on portable devices. You may want to look that up. You can purchase the receiver from the DISH Store, it is one of the icons at the top of the page. If you go to your setting, it should allow you to set up your subscriptions so you will get the e-mail notifications! Good Luck!!

One last question and that is which is better, purchasing your own equipment or renting it? Seems Dish get's you either way on this one, but I'm going to leave this up to the experts and I come to learn from you guys/gals.

One last question and that is which is better, purchasing your own equipment or renting it? Seems Dish get's you either way on this one, but I'm going to leave this up to the experts and I come to learn from you guys/gals.

If you lease, you get a 2 year commitment, Dish has to recoup the investment they made in your free installation. If you buy, there is no commitment at all, but you have to do the complete installation yourself. The price of service is the same both ways.

One last question and that is which is better, purchasing your own equipment or renting it?
In a very small number of tax jurisdictions, there is a higher tax on leased equipment than that on owned equipment. Other than that, most who buy outright are fooling themselves (or have a whole bunch of receivers).

fooling themselves how? i think i know, but am wondering what you meant.
Fooling themselves into thinking that they're somehow saving money (either long or sort term) by buying outright.

Anyone who believes that they don't pay the same monthly fees for owned or leased is fooling themselves. Rest assured, they're out there.

Anyone who believes that resale value on a receiver is going to make up the price difference is similarly deluded.

I can understand what your saying, but when you don't want a 2 yr contract it's worth it. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the ethernet port is for?

I can understand what your saying, but when you don't want a 2 yr contract it's worth it.
Unless you find that it isn't for you within the first few months, the ETF is likely less than the amount you would spend to own.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the ethernet port is for?
Connecting to your LAN. For receivers it does't bring much (perhaps fewer calls from the audit team). For real HD DVRs (not 211s with EHDs), it means being able to download demand content (some free, some relatively expensive) via your Internet connection.

If you spring for a Sling adapter, it also handles all of the traffic from that.

Pixelization/ Occasional Loss of Signal on Satellite 119

Question for the installers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts