New to FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AdamJonny

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Somewhere
My wife and I (mostly me) have been thinking about adding a FTA satellite, but I don't know where to start. I have looked at the list to see what channels are available and it looks like most of the stuff we would want is on 97.0°W Galaxy 19 Ku; however, I really want all I can get. :hungry: I have looked over some of the receivers available at Sadoun and GOsatellite, but don't know what is the best to get, although I like some of the feature set of the Nfusion receivers. Also how much HD is available in FTA, is it really worth the money to get an HD receiver right now? Also, if I were to get a motorized dish, how hard would it be to set up? We have Dish Network right now, and I know we have a clear view of most of the southern sky... Any recommendations or starter tips would really help!

Lots of ethnic programming is available on 97w, and there are plenty of English language channels on 123w (Galaxy 18). There's very little HD on Ku-Band, PBS is the only full-time HD at the moment. There are, however, a number of HD feeds that come and go, usually sports-related.

A motor will get you most, if not all, of the visible satellites in the sky. However, it is recommended to start with a stationary (fixed, non-motorized) setup first to get accustomed to aiming at satellites before tackling a motor install.

Like Tron said.

If you are kinda sorta handy, and are willing to teach yourself by reading and doing, WELCOME!

This is a DIY hobby and not everyones cup of tea. That being said, if you're still interested, you came to the right place. Do your homework before buying a bunch of stuff. Be sure to check out the FAQ's.

You can't go wrong with the sponsers Tron mentioned.

We were all new at this once and, mostly every mistake you can think of was made by all of at one time or another. Help, encouragement, and mostly sage advice is only a post away!

Lots of ethnic programming is available on 97w, and there are plenty of English language channels on 123w (Galaxy 18). There's very little HD on Ku-Band, PBS is the only full-time HD at the moment. There are, however, a number of HD feeds that come and go, usually sports-related.

Well there is at least ONE other fairly nice full time FTA HD channel on Ku besides PBS, I'm watching it right now. It has some nice programming on it, at least at certain times of the day. Of course, it isn't listed on Lyngsat as being FTA, and you'd need a DBS capable lnbf. This one has been FTA for about 7 months.

But yeah, in general you're right, there isn't much full time HD on Ku, but I'm guessing that this will change in the future, plus there might be more out there that we just haven't found.

Sounds like for now it would be ok to save the money and get an SD receiver. Any recommendations on a good receiver? As far as the installation goes, I have set up both Direct TV and Dish Network satellite systems in the past, so I like to think of myself as being handy. ;) Still trying to sell my wife on the idea, what are some notable channels that are out there? I already know she is interested in the Glory Star FTA stuff.

Also, there are encrypted channels that you cannot get; however, is there a way to subscribe to them? I worked for a guy who had a C-ban dish and had tons of channels but he did not use the dish much, then switched to Dish Network. The old C-ban dish is still hooked up and I cant imagine he is paying for it. I know he had network feeds of ABC, NBC, CBS, ect and premium channels like Nickelodeon. Now I am not talking about hacking or stealing of any kind, just want to know if I can subscribe to channels?

IF your wife is interested in the Glorystar system, then I would look at the package from Glorystar and from the parent company Satellite AV. I have gotten several Mercury II's from there and have set them up and like them very much.

There are also some channels on AMC4 in the Glorystar package. The ONE I do not want to do without is the Gospel Music Channel. It is the 3rd most watched/listened to channel here at our place.

I also got the GEOSat DVR1100C from them and like it also. Since Brian is directly involved with that unit, you can get all the tech support available for it here and on the Glorystar support forum on this site.

I do not recommend the Nfusion line at all. It appears to aim for the pirates, and really has not had good reviews for FTAers.
POP

Well there is at least ONE other fairly nice full time FTA HD channel on Ku besides PBS, I'm watching it right now. It has some nice programming on it, at least at certain times of the day. Of course, it isn't listed on Lyngsat as being FTA, and you'd need a DBS capable lnbf. This one has been FTA for about 7 months.

What channel is this? What are the details?

The c-band digital channels you refer to are available for subscription. You'll need a big dish, and a 4DTV receiver, which allows you to receive digital and analog signals. They're older technology, but still in use for a lot of hobbyists. You can find them from time to time on ebay, and a few other places. Go for the 922model, I think that was the latest one that was made, they are no longer in production though, new.

...You'll need a big dish, and a 4DTV receiver...
That is what he had, not the 922 but an older receiver.

IF your wife is interested in the Glorystar system, then I would look at the package from Glorystar...
I personal would like to have all the FTA that I can, it is kinda like saying I have more channels than you. ;) I would watch channels like the PBS's and NASA, ect, and it is something to keep me busy and out of trouble!

Sorry for asking so many questions... so is the Mercury II the receiver to get or should I go with something else like a ViewSat, CapriveWorks, or Sonicview? Whatever it is, I guess I need blind search. The only reason the Nfusion sounded good to me is the ability to record to a PC over the network (sounds like something that I would do :cool:). The only other question I have about the Mercury II receiver is how user friendly is it? I am good with technical stuff but my wife on the other hand, not so much.

Last edited:
My wife and I (mostly me) have been thinking about adding a FTA satellite, but I don't know where to start. I have looked at the list to see what channels are available and it looks like most of the stuff we would want is on 97.0°W Galaxy 19 Ku; however, I really want all I can get. :hungry: I have looked over some of the receivers available at Sadoun and GOsatellite, but don't know what is the best to get, although I like some of the feature set of the Nfusion receivers. Also how much HD is available in FTA, is it really worth the money to get an HD receiver right now? Also, if I were to get a motorized dish, how hard would it be to set up? We have Dish Network right now, and I know we have a clear view of most of the southern sky... Any recommendations or starter tips would really help!

Adam,

I will give you some information and you can research it on your own time and see what you think and decide from there.

This is what my setup consists of... Equipment-wise:

Coolsat 5000 receiver
Winegard DS-2076 dish
PowerTech DG-280 motor
DN SW-21 switch or a Chieta 4X1 DiSEqC switch
Commscope BrightWire RG6 Quad shield cable
Channel Master channel editor program by SharpC

The Coolsat 5000 receivers are no longer manufactured, they were discontinued about two years ago. But, you can find a Coolsat 4000, 5000 or a 6000 on Ebay, used, for a song! $15 to $50.

A lot of people bought these Coolsat receivers intending to use them for piracy, but once the piracy support went down for them, they want to unload their receivers. They do not understand that these receivers are really excellent as they were designed to work for true (legal) FTA satellites! And I can vouch for the fact that they do work very well! Pansat and Viewsat recievers aren't too bad, but the Coolsat 5K blows them away, in my opinion!

The dish, well that depends a bit upon where you are located, but generally, a 75-90cm dish will suit you well. Anything larger than 90cm is a bit difficult and catches a lot of wind. You also need a good tough motor to drive a larger dish. The Winegard 76cm (DS-2076) dish is a good choice. Even though it is physically smaller, its design makes it comparable to some 90cm dishes for gain, so it has a benefit of small size and good performance all in one.

Motor-wise, an SG-2100 is good and well respected model, but a PowerTech DG-280 is basically an improved model, it is the SG-2100 on steroids. There is also a DG-240 and a DG-380 model, but I don't recommend them. I tested them all and the DG-280 is priced fairly and built well. Out of the SG-2100, DG-240, DG-280 and DG-380 motors, the DG-280 is the one that I have on my motorized dishes.

The switches that I recommend are simple and durable. I recommend that you don't get too fancy here. Get a good, reliable switch. The DN SW21 switch is hard to beat! The Chieta 4X1 DiSEqC switch is also hard to beat.

What is nice about these switches and the Coolsat 5K receiver is that you can cascade these two types of switches if you are so inclined. I can even operate my dish motor through the switch matrix (with a few obvious exceptions).

Well, I have presented some very specific information for you to analyze. You research all of this and then you can decide what fits best for you.

I do want to forewarn you, a lot of the new machines (receivers) are designed for the hackers! If you want to use them for true FTA, you may be disappointed. I bought a few of these and I was not happy, there is a lot of my money collecting dust in my closet. Be careful what you buy. Just because the receiver has a high price and is hyped up does not mean that it functions very well.

I wish you the best of luck in your purchase and I hope you have a lot of fun in this hobby! There is a lot of clear channels out there that will serve you well! Have fun!

AcWxRadar

If you were interested in a PVR-capable receiver, many of the members here have the Visionsat IV-200 and love it. As a bonus, it will also record (but cannot replay) HD channels. You can connect the hard drive or thumb drive to a PC for playback.

Last edited:
WOW :eek: thanks for all the info AcWxRadar! I will digest all of this an take a look around to see what is out there.

I think to start out I will go with the M1 FTA package from Sadoun. I can always upgrade latter if I feel the need, I think this looks like a good starting point.

OK, new problem... I did a little research and I can only see satellites 85ºW AMC 16 - 148ºW EchoStar 1.2. So the question is, will I be missing much from 15ºW Telstar 12 - 83ºW AMC 9? If so, I will just go cut down the neighbors tree! :D

You'd be lucky to get anything east of 30W, I never heard of anybody in the US receiving 15w.
Maybe if you're on the east coast on a really high mountain!

Well I think 85ºW is my true south dish... and that is the last one I can see before the trees get in my way.

You can, if you want to climb a tower every time you need to work on your dish! I'd put it on the ground if at all possible, it's really tough to work on those things when they're off the ground, and you're hanging from a tower or ladder.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Newbie getting setup

Putting a new FTA receiver in a separate room (Single LNB)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)