New to Dish -- Can I Do This?

IvinsUtah

Original poster
Jan 31, 2007
I am new to Dish and having a VIP211 installed later this week.

I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can answer for me....

1. I'm confused about HDMI cables. Planning to use a HDMI cable out of the back of the VIP211 to my HDTV HDMI input #1. Does this cable carry both the picture and audio? I was under the impression that it carried both, but recently I've read it just carries the picture and I need to also hook up a separate cable for the audio.

2. Does the "TV set out" coaxial output on the VIP211 carry a digital signal? Is it possible to have data leaving the VIP211 from two different ports at the same time? My plan is/was to have the HDMI cable run directly from the VIP211 to the HDTV because I've heard this direct connection will give you the very best possible HD picture (not daisy chaining through other devices). But then I also am/was planning to run a separate cable out of the back of the VIP211 directly into a DVD recorder so that I can record whatever is leaving the VIP211. I would then use composite cables to run the signal out of the DVD recorder and into the HDTV (I'm not concerned whether that signal would be HD because I will be hooking up a separate HD DVD player -- the Oppo DV-981HD -- to be a standalone HD DVD player/upconverter that will run directly into the HDTV using the second HDMI input).

If I can't do the above, can anyone give me ideas as to how I can get the best possible HD images into my HDTV from multiple sources, including:
1. My Dish VIP211
2. A Panasonic DVD/VHS Recorder/Player
3. A Oppo DV-981HD HD DVD player/upconverter

My HDTV, a Vizio 42" LCD, has tons of jacks -- 2 HDMIs, A DTV/TV coaxial, RGB, 2 sets of component, 2 sets of RCA, etc.

Thanks for any ideas and suggestions. I appreciate it!!

Scott

The hdmi cable does carry a digital signal of both the video and audio. The coaxial output is a digital audio signal. I use the s-video output on the 211 into my dvd recorder along with the red and white rca output and it works fine.
I have component cables to connect the dvd recorder into the tv.

talked to an installer this morning..

Dish Configuation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)