New questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GeoBible

Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Hi I am very new to this. I just purchased a large motorhome and I am trying to keep my budget down. I see free to air sites if you have the units, is it true that it is legal or free. is there any other cost? is the 2500a good for free to air. or what about the winnexus unit. I am not bad at installing most anything but very new with satellite equipment and how it works. I was told that I would need a computer- I have a new toshiba satellite pro with media center laptop which uses the t mobile card which i suppose is a dialup connection. I will have no phone line in the motorhome. I also have a desktop pc not hooked to the internet. and will there be a problem if I use a flatscreen tv? That is if I can get a system that works good.
I sure could use suggestions.
Just tell me what will work and how much and where to buy if you will please.
I will be living in the motor home for quite a while doing my research so I will not need a home unit.
I do have an older twin 500 dishnetwork unit with older card that my brother gave me, prob. to old to be of any use?
Hope you can help.

Hello GeoBible, and WELCOME to SatelliteGuys.US FTA/MPEG-2 forum : )

Yes FTA TV is perfectly legal in every way and I think it would be ideal in your position, you would need at least a 30" dish, a receiver and a LNB.
There is no need to hook these systems to a computer as they come with the latest software already loaded and should last for quite some time, the only time you would ever want to hook one to the internet world be to upgrade the firmware to the latest version.
I like the Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra System, with the 90cm dish, it comes with a Universal LNBF and a self install kit, so more or less everything you need. I would also recommend a H to H motor to take full advantage of your system and to pick up as many FTA channels as you can, there are LOADS up there including all the networks right now.
You may be able to use your old Dish 500 dish to get an extra few channels and radio, but you will need the bigger dish for most of the FTA broadcasts.

Computer cards are great but right now they do not have the BLIND SCAN that the receivers have and is really a must have feature, its a lot of fun and could be all the TV you ever need it is for me, any more questions let us know you found the right place for advice and all the help you need to get your system up and running, take care!

Looking for the right products and service.

Wow! I am shocked how fast I got a responce and so straight forward to the point and what I need. Now I will see what the cost is and I hope they are not so hard to get up and going.
You have made my day.
Thanks
Zion Illinois

They are not that hard to set up, sounds like you are quite handy and we can help you every step of the way. Best advice is to read as much as you can here and learn from all the other members adventures, if you give us your zip code we can give you all the angles you will ever need. I recommend the SG2100 motor (most members here seem to have one) so I can give you the angles you will need to set that up also, taken one step at a time its not to difficult and the setup is half the fun!

I would say around $200 for a good system add $100 for a motorized system, hope this helps, shop around and read as much as you can : )

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Absolutely can't get WVGN off AMC 4

lnb question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)