New install - locals missing after software update

Status
Please reply by conversation.

knownikko

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
CA
Just switched from E* to D* today and the install went great. HR24, H24, MRV, broadband connection, etc.

Everything was working great and the installer mentioned that the receiver will probably get a software update sometime in the next day or so and to let it do its thing. Not 5 minutes after he left the HR24 said it was ready to download an update, so I said OK.

After it rebooted, my local channels are missing from the guide and "not available" if I try to select them manually. The second TV with the H24 can still see them.

Verified that signal strength to the 119 satellite seems fine. Reset the HR24, re-completed the dish setup, pulled the power cord, etc... all to no avail.

Called D* and they are sending a tech back out tomorrow. Anything else I should try in the meantime? Seems funny to me that one receiver sees them fine but the other doesn't. The HR24 DID get the local channels when the tech initially set everything up - it was only after the software update / reboot that they went away.

SWMBO would be much happier with me disrupting her TV world if she could watch Grey's Anatomy tonight in the living room. :eek:

Glad to see you got the equipment you desired. :)
I would try calling them back and have them resend authorization. Do you know which sat locals are coming off of? Also have you checked signals for each of the sats & if so what are your numbers?

Are you supposed to get hd locals? 119 has sd locals, the hd ones are on 99 or 103, depending on your area. What is your zip code?

Zip code is 93614. Fresno-Visalia, CA market. Locals are supposed to be in HD. The operator had me check the signal on the 119 satellite when I called in, so I assumed that's where they were.

Like I said the interesting thing is that they still come in fine on the second receiver. Not sure what that's all about.

Yeah, the software downloads usually happen within 15 minutes of the receiver being activated (unless you force them where they happen immediately).

I will agree, it is most likely and authorization issue.
The locals will show up in their computers as being there but for some reason the receiver does not show them.

I know it sounds weird but usually having them pull the receiver off the account, then putting it back on the account, then resetting it, usually fixes this issue.

More then likely, the installer will fix this issue over the phone.

If you call back, you could probably fix this yourself if you get a CSR that either knows how to or wants to help you.
Unfortunately, on a brand new install, ofthen they find it easier just to blow it off and generate a rollback.

Zip code is 93614. Fresno-Visalia, CA market. Locals are supposed to be in HD. The operator had me check the signal on the 119 satellite when I called in, so I assumed that's where they were.

Like I said the interesting thing is that they still come in fine on the second receiver. Not sure what that's all about.

Not a signal issue since it happens on one and not the other.
Plus you already said it was working fine before the download.

The download unfortunately somehow probably kicked part of your programming.

Thanks for the advice. Not looking forward to any more time on the phone so I guess I'll just sit tight and let the tech come back in the morning. I'm sure the wife will be ok without Grey's for one night. ;)

Makes me wonder why we don't have Directv Network Support on here. Can't blame you for not wanting anymore airtime. This should be a simple no hassle fix without the hoopla. As long as the boss is happy, everyone is happy, better luck tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice. Not looking forward to any more time on the phone so I guess I'll just sit tight and let the tech come back in the morning. I'm sure the wife will be ok without Grey's for one night. ;)

Yeah sucks for the installer but in all reality, he could have forced the download before leaving.
This is why I usually do this.
However, there are times I do not and suppose it will eventually bite me in the arse.
I would still be upset that CSR didn't fix the issue as that would have been better customer service but ultimately if the installer would have forced the down load, he wouldn't be rolling back.

BTW, I once had a roll back because the customer called asking about the lag between their HD receiver and SD receiver.:facepalm

The Fresno locals are on 119 for SD but 103 for HD. If you have it set up to hide SD dupes then it should show one set of locals with a mix of SD and HD
Here is a stupid thought...are you on the "all channels" option for the guide?

Here is the list of stations and what sat they're on...all in HD but the bolded ones
KVPT 18
KFTV 21
KSEED 24
FOX 26
KFSN 30
KMSG 39
TFT 42
KGPE 47
KNXT 49
KNSO 51
KAIL 53
...coming soon in HD but not yet
KFRE 59

Thanks for all the tips. Not sure what happened but they inexplicably showed back up a couple hours later. Maybe they did something, maybe the receiver just needed a little time to adjust to its new home. :confused:

At any rate, everyone is happy now and we're enjoying the new setup. Thanks again!

Glad its all working.

Just a FYI..in the future to force a software upgrade do a RBR (red button reboot). On the first screen (welcome to Directv) press
0 2 4 6 8 in that order

it will search for any new software available

Glad it worked out.

Didn't sound like an installer was needed to come out, it was just another case where the person on the other end just generates a roll back because it is easier then dealing with the issue. Unfortunately CSR's have to maintain a call rate which means the faster they solve your problem, the better. It is a lot faster to generate that roll back then to resend authorizations and have you reset the receiver.

I can't blame them though as D* created the monster. I wonder when they will realize that sometimes the numbers they make us maintain hinder us from doing what is most important which is giving good customer service.

(Disclaimer: This is not just D* that does this stuff, all companies pull this type of crap).

After my install today, two of the four tv's lost local channels after the update. The first was fixed with a phone call to DTV. They sent me an email with a link to fix the other myself.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Can dish be mounted to block wall?

Possible Switch to DirecTV with an MRV Question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)