New Happy Directv Customer!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dtro77

On Vacation
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
Poconos PA
Hey guys, just got Directv installed about 2 weeks ago, so far so good.

I got the New HR34 , HR23, and 2 H25's.

I love the Whole home DVR system and the VOD options are quite good for what I was expecting with a Satellite company.
VOD is Quite slow to download,( I have 10 MBPS internet) but I just did a run through and set to download some stuff I think I may want to watch in a few days.

It did cost me quite a bit upfront , but after some research the HR 34 and an addtional HD DVR was a must for me.
Price $315 total.

I got all the DECA equipment and a Swim 16, so any upgrades should be a breeze, (if I ever need to upgrade, Doubt it)

The programming I got was the Premier pack with free 2012 NFL sunday ticket.
I had a refer a friend discount as well for $10 off for 10 month.
Plus a $45 credit per month for 3 months on the premiums.
$30 off per month for 1 year on a Online rebate
And another $10 off for doing Auto pay.
Free HD Extra pack for 3 months.

I'm not going to lie I did Look into Dish Network, but was greatly disappointed.
Mainly on the equipment, But also the lack of any sports in my DMA ("NY)
And it seems they are missing some other channels that Directv had .
As far as Equipment they would not let me have the setup I needed cause of their 3 receiver lease rule.
I could only Get this thing called the Hopper and 2 other small remote receiver. And with my ability with Directv system I can record and watch live tv in all my rooms at the same time. I was not convinced that was possible with the limited Dish network setup.

So far no glitches, the Hr23 is a little sluggish, but nothing to write home about.
I got My first Bill and it was $88 ( my refer a friend didn't kick in yet) so that was a welcome site, sure it cost me quite a bit upfront, but I got an awesome 4 room system, great customer service and with my 24 month commitment it will still save me money in the long run by dropping my cable companys High bill.

My only hopes and requests, maybe H2 in HD !:popcorn

Congrats, you got a nice setup with all that gear and MRV.

The 1080p/24 PPV movies take awhile to download, but the PQ is very very good.

I'm very happy with the PQ overall. I have this nice big LG 55 Smart tv and other then my PS3 it never had good HD like this. I don't understand why I waited so long to switch.
But I'm glad I did wait cause I got that awesome HR34.:whoo:

Welcome and Congrats you will love direct and the HR34 and great setup you have :)

I am getting Direct in the next few weeks. I think I am going to have to pay 1 or 2 months ETF fee to Dish, but I can't stand not having RSN's anymore,and might have to just bite the bullet. I can't stand not having any RSN's anymore. The way Dish treated the NY sports fans is a real shame. Funny thing is, that when they took away all of the RSN's , I didn't receive any refunds, or a cheaper monthly rate.

Gotta have RSN's, and Dish has nothing but the BIG Ten network for us here in Eastern PA.
I would like and do Miss Comcast Philly.
I did have that with Cable. I wish Directv could get it.

I am getting Direct in the next few weeks. I think I am going to have to pay 1 or 2 months ETF fee to Dish, but I can't stand not having RSN's anymore,and might have to just bite the bullet. I can't stand not having any RSN's anymore. The way Dish treated the NY sports fans is a real shame. Funny thing is, that when they took away all of the RSN's , I didn't receive any refunds, or a cheaper monthly rate.
If you want Whole home DVR service.

Spend the $99 and get the HR34 for your Main DVR.

HR24 is good if you only need to share it with 1 other room, or if your single, or don't have anyone one else to worry about recording while your trying to record and watch tv. Remember its only 2 tuners
This is a mistake I almost made.

The HR34 will do 4 rooms fantastic with up to 3 H25's.
Plus all 4 rooms can watch a recorded show all at the same time, since it can stream 3 remote rooms at the same time.
The HR 24, only 1 remote room at a time.

I don't know how your Credit is ,but if you qualify you can get HR34 and 3 H25s for $99 installed.

I didn't so I had to pay
$99 for HR34
$149 HR23
$49 for H25
Free H25
Plus tax Came to almost $315

But again you may not want or need another HD DVR like I wanted.

Couple tips
If you have 2 DVRs and whole home service.
You can't set to record on the HR34 from the HR24, or The HR24 to the HR34.
Only remote rooms, (H25s) can set a recording remotely to any DVR in the house.
Not a big deal really its not, cause you still access the recording from either dvr anyway. Once you record to 1 dvr , its available to all your receivers.

Another tip. The h25's remote rooms, can not Pause or rewind live tv, they are not DVR's. The only way you can rewind or pause is if it is already recorded.
Thats why I splurged and got another HD DVR. So now my Kids are the only ones that can't rewind live tv.

Last edited:
Gotta have RSN's, and Dish has nothing but the BIG Ten network for us here in Eastern PA.
I would like and do Miss Comcast Philly.
I did have that with Cable. I wish Directv could get it.

D* would but Comcast wants D* to pay an extordinant amount for the same programming that others pay quite a bit less for.

D* would but Comcast wants D* to pay an extordinant amount for the same programming that others pay quite a bit less for.
Thats ok, I like the Yankees for Baseball.
But I like the Eagles , so it was nice during football season to watch the before and after shows.

Enjoy! Nice promo prices.

Let us know how that new HR34 works.
Will do, So far so good.
I did get the protection plan as well, I just figured better be safe then sorry with all these splitters and routers and that Swim setup. Looks expensive!.

Awesome to hear. Dish isn't terrible, just the RSN also got me, had no YES, and right after I switched back to DirecTV, they dropped SNY and MSG, so glad i left.

I don't have an hr34, so I'm wondering how it is, I have a HR24 and love it. Nice slim setup, I love the new GUI. Can't beat free NFL ST. I also had to pay when I came back to DirecTV to get the receivers, my credit went down big time due to student loans, so I had to pay the 99.00 each for HD receivers(Got 2), and Standard was 69.00, last year around may I received 2 HD DVRs free as loyalty gifts, so can't beat that either.

But glad you're a happy camper, and enjoy it.

I don't have an hr34, so I'm wondering how it is, I have a HR24 and love it. .
Well it was ok the first 2 weeks, but now I'm a little worried cause we just had a National download this morning, and its been acting strange ever since. I had to reboot it , because the whole font was pure white, and a couple of recordings have some freezes and audio dropouts. And this was about 6 hours after the downloaded software update.
So again a little worried.

Try rebooting it twice. That should clear the cache and it may behave.

Should i Unplug it? Cause I only hit the red button before. How about the Deca and swim? are those OK or should they get a reboot?

Reboot through the menu. I have no experience with the DECA, so no advice either! By swm do you mean the power inserter? I doubt it matters.

Should i Unplug it? Cause I only hit the red button before. How about the Deca and swim? are those OK or should they get a reboot?

Reboot through the menu. I have no experience with the DECA, so no advice either! By swm do you mean the power inserter? I doubt it matters.

Menu-Setting-Reset-Restart Recvr-dash

Status
Please reply by conversation.

D11-500

Missing Some OTA Channels. Any ideas?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)