New DirecTV Dish w/o service?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DpR33

Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Is there any way to get a DTV dish installed on your house without activating service? If so, please advise......

Thanks for any input.

Buy one ($99) and install it; however its the receivers that must be activated, no one tracks the dishes; but anyway why would you want to do that?

Can I guy an MPEG-4 one in the stores? I havent seen one. Even so, I would prefer to have it installed "professionally". The 3 lnb dish was a small pain to get pointed correctly, I am imagining that the 5lnb dish might cause me some headaches I would prefer to pay $100 (or whatever this theoretcial installation would cost) to avoid.

Don't worry about the recievers, I got that handled.....

A PhaseIII dish is a simple install, so if you were uncomfortable with that, the AT9 5 LNB model would be a nightmare.

Even if you have your own receivers you will still have to have them all activated by DirecTV or the dish will do no good. What models of receivers? Some will not work with the AT9 5 LNB model.

Last edited:
I have working recievers that I already pay for every month, just no dish on the roof. the HD Tivo and an older HD one, forget the model.

So, to your knowledge, is it possible to jsut have a dish installed?

Seems odd paying for a subscription without already having a working dish, but I must be missing what you are trying to do; are you just wanting to a self upgrade? BUT, you would need to buy a dish yourself and then track down a local contract install tech to put it up; look in the paper or phone book. If you need RG6 run as well your are gonna pay a pretty penny I bet. Neither of those two receiver types you listed can use a AT9; they will work for basic functions, but you will be paying extra for the Ka band that they can't decode.

http://www.solidsignal.com/cat_display.asp?CAT=Antennas DirecTV Dish

Last edited:
They will sitll work to the extent that they did with the 3lnb dish though right?

I intend to add a MPEG4 reciever in the near future.

While it is not my exact position, what would you do it your dish was blown away in a storm? How would you get your DTV up and running w/o installing the dish yourself?

Your cryptic questions and scenarios, as well as your post count, leads me to believe you have a box that gets programming you're not supposed to get (hacker/account stacking). Time for a mod to say goodbye to you! Too bad Iceberg is sleeping :)

Post reported.

Last edited:
I am a paying DTV customer for 10 + years. I would however, prefer not to change my billing address from what is now, my second home.

You could call up Directv and tell them that you are going to move to the new site but you want to keep your billing address as your second home. Then they will come and install your new dish and receiver at your new service address. We do that with Dish and they have no problem with it. They will even do it for free if you use the dish mover with Dish.

DpR33 said:
Hmm, I didnt think they would do that. Thanks for the tip!
I'm not sure they would either, I would think that they would want to set up a second account and that would cost you more p/m.

You could run it by a CSR, tell them you would like to change you main address to your other address and keep your billing going to the currect address, thenask them to come out and place the dish at the address you want, tell them you are moving up there soon..... See what they say .

jimbo

Last edited:
I forgot to add that I did this with Directv when I was with them back in 2003. I only" virtualy moved" so I didn't need the second dish, and they kept my service address listed as the fake address and my billing went to my home. I also used credit card auto pay and did away with the paper bill.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

I hate my DirecTV DVR!

Installation Questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)