Needing help with Dish Network problem

steve johnson

Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
Hi, I've been thinking about getting rid of my cable and switching to dish network, I live in a townhouse and there are 4 townhouses together, mine is on the end, but I want my dish network to come though the tv outlets already installed in my house - there's one problem, the cable company (Charter Communications) has a box on the outside that I guess all the cabling is in -- and it is locked, I'm assuming that's where the wires would be that go into the apartment? -- or is that just where the cable companys wires are. I know that this can be done because my neighbor has direct tv and his dish comes through the tv outlets...I called the cable company and as expected...they were not cooperative...what should I do?? I already called my landlord and he said that the box locked box on the outside is not his. Any suggestions...???

welcome to the site. you will enjoy yourself here.

is it a pad lock or just one of those flimsly things to to keep it closed? i used to have the same thing you are describing, but the box was not kept locked. a good installer should be able to work around it.

KORSJS -- It's a metal box with like a cabinet lock on it, not a pad lock...I don't know for sure if the wiring from my neighbors dish is inside it though, looks like they ran the wiring inside it...would it be better to just have someone from dish network come out and look at it, I just don't understand how something can be locked like that to prevent gaining access to the outlets in the house. The cable box is on the east side of the apartment building and my apartment is on the west side and there are 4 apartments. Like I said before, it can be done because DIRECTTV did it with my neighbor. Thanks for you help...

The way it works is that the cable company owns everything up to the "demarkation point" and the property owner owns everything past that point. So, with your landlord's permission, you can use the existing cables coming "out" of the box into your townhouse. The property owner should have access to the box and he can have the cable company come out, if necessary, to disconnect "your" leads. Of course, the townhome or condo association (if there is one) may have covenents regarding the placement of a dish in a "common area."

Cable installers have been known to deliberately cut leads before or after satellite TV installations like this so be prepared to deal with them.

And, yes, I would absolutely ask your neighbor how he got things taken care of.

Yes, I talked to my landlord yesterday and he advised that he did not put a lock box on the outside and the cable company advised me it was theirs, so does this mean that they'll still be able to "wire into" the existing cable so that it comes into my outlets in my house? Thanks for your help...

steve johnson said:
Yes, I talked to my landlord yesterday and he advised that he did not put a lock box on the outside and the cable company advised me it was theirs, so does this mean that they'll still be able to "wire into" the existing cable so that it comes into my outlets in my house? Thanks for your help...
You can do anything you want with the output wires of the cable bo:mad:as long as its ok with the landlord). You might have to have the wires cut at the box and have new ends put on them. You might also want to make sure those wires are RG6 cable.

On another note - you've got to be SURE there are NO splitters ANYWHERE in the house wiring. EACH receiver must have a 'pure' line back to the dish/switch.

In many condos and townhouses in my area, the wires will go throught the attic or the crawl (if there is one) of your individual condo. The installer should be able to feed the wires from the dish to the attic/crawl and tie into them there. THis is usually the case, but not always. If it was wired correctly, there will be a wire ran through the attic for every outlet. Some times there is only one wire ran through the attic that feeds a junction box where it is split. But some are wired on a "loop" system which is definitely trouble for a dish installer. This is where one wire goes to one outlet, and then there is a splitter behind the wall plate and another line comes off of that splitter and feeds another outlet, and so on.

Make sure that the wires are RG-6 with a rating of 2200 MHZ (2.2 GHZ) so that it will work with the DishPro lnbf's and switches.

Newbie - howdy!

dvr/record plus on 522

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts