Need help mirroring Dish to second TV in apartment

beauredwolf

Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Lincoln, NE
I have tried everything, but am frustrated beyond belief. Here's my issue if anyone can help...

I moved into an apartment complex where they are in an exclusive agreement with Dish to provide free TV to all residents (just 1 receiver). It is set up fine, and works great on the one TV we have in our living room. However, I decided I would like to try and mirror it to our bedroom TV. There's a closet in our apartment where the coax cable comes in from outside, runs into a splitter, which splits it over to the bedroom TV and the living room TV (the bedroom only gets over the air channels, but the living room has the receiver). That's how it it set up by them.

Now, from what I've read, the best solution would be to set up two diplexers, by replacing the splitter in the closet with one, and putting one out by the living room TV to feedback the signal to the second TV in the bedroom. I somewhat understand how it works and what I'm supposed to do, but after trying it out with the diplexers, it doesn't work. It seems only one side of the diplexers works (the UHF side, not the SAT side). If I plug the coax to the second TV into the UHF side, the dish screen shows up on the TV as expected, but no signal can be found (on either TV). If I plug the coax from outside into the UHF side, I get signal back on the living room, but it is no longer mirrored. It's like only the UHF side of the diplexers will carry a signal. I even tried to just feed the signal from outside over the SAT on the diplexers by itself to make sure I can get a signal, but even that isn't going through. It only works on the UHF side. I tried replacing diplexers, but still nothing.

Since the apartment is in charge of how it is hooked up outside and I can't see the setup outside, I'm wondering if there is in issue with how they are combining the OTA and Dish signals together to bring them in on the single cable. I don't know how they are doing it, but I'm thinking maybe because it is a commercial install that something else needs to be done to mirror (they charge $50 to do it, so I opted against that). My dish receiver is a 211K, and I have diplexers that said they work with DISH. I bought 3 of them, just in case I needed another. Also, I noticed there is something called a QBOX hooked up on the receiver, so I don't know if this is causing interference.

Does anyone know how I should be hooking this up? Any help would be appreciated!

beauredwolf said:
I have tried everything, but am frustrated beyond belief. Here's my issue if anyone can help...

I moved into an apartment complex where they are in an exclusive agreement with Dish to provide free TV to all residents (just 1 receiver). It is set up fine, and works great on the one TV we have in our living room. However, I decided I would like to try and mirror it to our bedroom TV. There's a closet in our apartment where the coax cable comes in from outside, runs into a splitter, which splits it over to the bedroom TV and the living room TV (the bedroom only gets over the air channels, but the living room has the receiver). That's how it it set up by them.

Now, from what I've read, the best solution would be to set up two diplexers, by replacing the splitter in the closet with one, and putting one out by the living room TV to feedback the signal to the second TV in the bedroom. I somewhat understand how it works and what I'm supposed to do, but after trying it out with the diplexers, it doesn't work. It seems only one side of the diplexers works (the UHF side, not the SAT side). If I plug the coax to the second TV into the UHF side, the dish screen shows up on the TV as expected, but no signal can be found (on either TV). If I plug the coax from outside into the UHF side, I get signal back on the living room, but it is no longer mirrored. It's like only the UHF side of the diplexers will carry a signal. I even tried to just feed the signal from outside over the SAT on the diplexers by itself to make sure I can get a signal, but even that isn't going through. It only works on the UHF side. I tried replacing diplexers, but still nothing.

Since the apartment is in charge of how it is hooked up outside and I can't see the setup outside, I'm wondering if there is in issue with how they are combining the OTA and Dish signals together to bring them in on the single cable. I don't know how they are doing it, but I'm thinking maybe because it is a commercial install that something else needs to be done to mirror (they charge $50 to do it, so I opted against that). My dish receiver is a 211K, and I have diplexers that said they work with DISH. I bought 3 of them, just in case I needed another. Also, I noticed there is something called a QBOX hooked up on the receiver, so I don't know if this is causing interference.

Does anyone know how I should be hooking this up? Any help would be appreciated!

Ok im not an expert but I think u are confusing splitters, seperators and diplexors. The diplexor is used to split a sat signal from the dish. This allows one coax run to a dual tuner sat receiver. The splitter just takes the rf output from a source and splits it so one out put can be sent to two or more tvs. I think what is in ur closet is a seperator that takes a combined sat and OTA signal and seperates them so they can be used by ur tv and sat box.
Does ur receiver have an rf output on it? Im assuming u r using HDMI to connect to ur main TV. I would run coax from the rf out of the sat box to the bedroom tv and that should mirror ur sat programing. If u can run the coax straight to the second tv don't use any splitters etc.
One last thing about splitters. If u need to use one be sure u purchase one rated for digital signals. If not it wont work.
Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
Wireless Video Senders work GREAT if all you want to do is relay the main room's selections to a second location! .......But watch out in Apartment complexes...these units share the 2.4 ghz band with internet and can cause interference or GET interference. But, there are multiple channels available. They're commonly available.

BETTER YET...5.8 ghz units. Try x10.com or similar sites. No wires, and remote control relay of commands usually are included in these units! (and they don't interfere with internet wireless signals.

Not sure if that's your goal, but shop around if it is, and you'll have an EASY setup and enjoyment in more than one location!

Do a google search for DISH Q box. It is a converter system for apartment delivered QAM signals and does not work with all DISH receivers.

Well...

Well, I know what is in the closet is a splitter (because it says 2-way splitter right on it). My thought was to switch this out with a diplexer, run the coax from outside into the SAT port, run the coax going to the receiver on the IN/OUT port so the signal travels to the receiver. Then, on that end, have the cable from the IN/OUT going into the IN/OUT on that second diplexer, and the SAT port on their going into the QBOX, which itself goes into the receiver. I would think this would at least get a signal going through, but for some reason it's not.

Then the plan was to have the coax OUT on the receiver (I'm using HDMI to go to the TV) to go back into the UHF port on the diplexer, so that it travels back to the first diplexer, then have the coax for the second TV plugged in to the UHF port on the diplexer on the other end. This should get the signal back to the second TV.

They were originally using a splitter in the closet, I think, because they wanted OTA on both TVs, but the DISH signal was only picked up only in the living room on the first TV.

I've thought about the wireless solution, but since I bought these diplexers, I'd like to get them to work. I'm still not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any other thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for the help!

I may be wrong but I believe the qam signal is not on the 950-2150 used by diplexers so there is no signal for you to diplex.

I may be wrong but I believe the qam signal is not on the 950-2150 used by diplexers so there is no signal for you to diplex.

Is it possible to move the QBOX to the closet, so that the signal is converted before hitting the diplexers? Or does the QBOX have to be directly connected to the receiver?

I still suggest u run coax from the rf out on the sat box directly to the second tv. If u have a mirror of ur primary tv then u can assume that the "diplexors" u purchased or this qbox r the issue.
I can state for a fact that u can use a high quality digital splitter to distribute the rf signal from a sat box to a tv. In ur case I don't think u need a splitter at all just run a cable from rf out on sat box to rf in on second tv

Ross

Last edited:
This what I think may be going on. The dish signal is converted to QAM for distribution throuout the complex. The qbox converts the QAM back to QPSK for the sat box.
I don't think u need anything other than a barrel connector.
Try this. Disconnect cable to bedroom from splitter in closet. Attach good quality barrel connecter. Run a cable fro rf out of sat box to barrel connector.
Check what channel the rf out on sat box is set too. Tune tv to same channel u should have mirror.

Ross

I got it working! You were all correct about the QAM signal, which wouldn't travel over the "SAT" port on the diplexers because of frequency issues. I tried moving the QBOX into the closet, so that the signal coming from outside ran into the QBOX before going into the diplexer. I'm now showing picture on both TV's! Thanks to all of you for your help!

722 USB Wifi

Sling Adapter and Google TV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)