Need help installing Toshiba DVD Recorder to R15 Direct TV unit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MHINDY

Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
i've spent 3 hours tonight and i'm 100% frustrated. I cannot get this Recorder to work. I can turn it on, etc however when I hit the setup or display button I don't see the setup screens. Can somebody please (in layman's terms) tell me how to install this Toshiba unit to the R15? I used the exact Quick Guide and for the life of me I can't get this to work at all. I would really appreciate it. For example, the quick guide states that I need a RF coax from the Direct TV box out to the Ant IN of the Tv. My question is, WHAT OUT on the Direct TV R15 do they mean? The OUT TO TV, the Antenna OUT, etc...it's not specific at all. Please somebody walk me thru this installation.

thanks!

Don't have an R15 but I do lots of recording from Directv receivers.` You want to go from out to TV to your DVD recorder then connect your DVD recorder to the TV. You will watch your TV through the DVDR. The Toshiba DVDR that I have has pass-thru so it doesn't have to be on for you to watch TV. If your TV has an input for composite cables(Red, White, Yellow) then use those instead of coax from R15 to DVD to TV.

when you say "go from OUT to TV" do you mean the one on the R15 that states "OUT to TV"?

is there anybody that can give me schematics on what exactly goes FROM the R15, what goes TO/FROM the Toshiba DVD recorder and what goes TO/FROM the TV? I get the signal but can't bring up the menu or display screen. Thanks.

What JOED said. If you want the best recordings DON"T use the RF out from the R10.

Use the s-video or yellow composite and the red/white audio connections from the R10, like input on the DVD recorder. You'll have to select that input on the recorder. Also, use the s-video or yellow composite and red/white audio to your TV.

What JOED said. If you want the best recordings DON"T use the RF out from the R10.

Use the s-video or yellow composite and the red/white audio connections from the R10, like input on the DVD recorder. You'll have to select that input on the recorder. Also, use the s-video or yellow composite and red/white audio to your TV.

(to finish) The output from your Toshiba recorder would go directly to the TV input. It may be s-video + l/r audio, yellow connecter +l/r audio (red and white). It also could be component out (red, green, blue) or even HDMI. Use the best connectors for both audio and video that exists on both the TV and the DVD recorder. from worst to best RF, Yellow composit, s-video, component, HDMI. Good luck, I've found Toshibas somewhat confusing.:D

You're sending a picture from your satillite receiver to your DVD recorder (out from sat-in dvd recorder). You're sending the recorder's images to the TV (out on dvd recorder-in on TV). You are also sending your sat receiver programming to your TV (out on sat-in on TV).:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirectTV HD Dish with "Sidecar" LNB

Better buy?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)