Need help installing a dish...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fdk110

Original poster
May 8, 2005
I am new to this site and this is my first post here. I apologize in advance if I am posting to the wrong forum or if the question is trivial.

Basically, I have been trying to install this thing for over a week and have hit bottom. So, I am questioning some some of my basic assumptions. I appreciate any help.

Here are the details:

System consists of:

Winegard DS-2076
DisqC 1.2 Motorized H-H Motor (SG-2100)
Pansat 2500A

I am in Potomac, MD: 39 degrees North, and 77 degrees West. So I figure that my true south satellite is AMC5 @ 79 degrees W.

I calculated that the magnetic deviation in my location is about 10 degrees, and need to point the dish to 190 degrees to see AMC5.

Given the above, I have set the motor elevation angle @ 51 degrees and the dish bracket at 24 degrees. (I got these values from the motor’s manual).

When I take the dish off the motor and put it on the ground, I get good signal. But when I put it back on the motor, I get no signal quality. Based on what I read in the forums, the issue must be that I am not pointing the dish correctly. Here are my questions:

1. Do I need to keep the dish bracket at about 24 degrees, or is this subject to change? If subject to change, is it minor change or could vary drastically? (i.e. should I be looking around 23-26 degrees or go 30 degrees and beyond??)

2. Here is another odd issue: I have installed the dish directly on the motor pole and did not use the mounting pole and mounting foot that came with the dish. However, with this set up, when I try to point the dish upwards to make sure that I cover the entire sky (looking for AMC5), the dish can not move beyond 30 degrees. This is because the back support of the dish touches the motor’s pole.

Is this normal? Do I need a special back support for the dish to install it on a motor?

Many thanks in advance.

Don

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Source for 1M dish Without the $800 shipping?

Channel Master 1M (or 1.2M) dish...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)