Need help boosting power

zapbrannigan

Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
I have had issues since my install yesterday due to a long cable run. My sg2100 motor just wont get enough juice to rotate the dish with my 225 foot cable run. I know for a fact it is the length of the run since I set up a mini lab just 10 feet away from my dish and ran through all the birds without any problems using the usals. Hooray! it really works! Now I need to find out how to boost the power to the motor from my receiver via the coax. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is my setup:

225 ft run
90cm dish
sg2100 motor
invacom quad polar lnb
21khz switch
viewsat 9000hd

Can you run bigger wire out to the motor, Ie have you tried using old extension cords or even romex out to the motor??
I know the wire on the coax is pretty small 18 gauge I beleive, larger diamter wire will help witht he voltage drop.

You are probably going to need to get RG-11 coax. The larger center conductor will mean a lower current drop over distance.

Also, check and see if the coax is copper-coated steel (CCS) or solid copper center conductor (SC or SCC). If you don't know, post the specs of your cable on here and we can tell you. If you aren't using solid copper, you can switch to solid copper to see if the current drop is low enough to keep the system running. Copper is a better conductor than steel and so replacing CCS coax with SCC will have less current drop.

Here is what is stamped on my cable

CAROL C5785 RG6/U COAX--18 AWG 75GSWEPT TO 3 GHZ E244480 CM(UL)C(UL) CL2-CATV-CM 10-07 01206885

There are also mods for that motor that allow you to power the motor from an external power source if you end up not getting enough boost with new cables. You'll have to search around for the info though, as I don't have a link to it any longer.

Yeah, that's copper clad wire. Take a volt/ohm meter and find out what your voltage is at the motor end of the coax and post what your voltage is out of the receiver. We'll see if SCC will help or if you need to get SCC or RG11.

And one other angle: use Horizontal polarity when calling up a satellite;
you will get an 18 volt DC output from the receiver instead of 13 volts.
This provides a small boost to a struggling motor. You will need RG-11 at the very least, but this should help.

BOSTON SCIFI-hd...Not 'tuned'?

FAA 1st Quarter Launch Report

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)