National Geographic HD on Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.
guffy1 said:
Show me..
I am not going thru the database for the last year to pull this up, maybe someone that works this board (knows how it works better than I) will.

You can take my word about it or you CAN look for the info to prove me wrong....
But then again, if you found the info, it would prove me correct, now would'nt it.

Jimbo

btw, we were all talking about the possiblility of it comming on in November because it also became available on DISH a few months earlier

Maybe it was DISH that came on in November last year, I cannot remember... None the less, as soon as DISH turned it on, us on the D* side started crying about wanting it, then when we got it no one liked it, unless it's live sports.

Last edited:
mthompso105 said:
Umm, Sorry I came off that way. My point is, I have been getting a service for as long as they have been offering it and now some think it should be taken away so they can have what they want. I think that is kinda funny.
IF the LA is your local, then you will have them thru out, regardless. IF, I don't know where you live

A recent email from NG-HD received here stated the following:

"The National Geographic Channel hope to have HD on DirecTV by early next
year.

Theresa Ward"

I have no idea who Theresa Ward is and I know that time frame is rather large but that's what they're saying when you ask them about NG-HD coming to D*.

wolfman said:
LA HD locals are on Spaceway 1.

I think he means that LA locals would go away on MPEG2. Not out of the realm of possibility, but not until the HR20 is in wide usage.

Jimbos said:
I am not going thru the database for the last year to pull this up, maybe someone that works this board (knows how it works better than I) will.

You can take my word about it or you CAN look for the info to prove me wrong....
But then again, if you found the info, it would prove me correct, now would'nt it.

Jimbo

btw, we were all talking about the possiblility of it comming on in November because it also became available on DISH a few months earlier

You called me out..Therefore I dont have anything to prove, you do..

Either way, it really dosent matter..

The fact remains that people here and over at AVS have been barking for a good 18 months now that there would be no new national HD until 2007..

If anyone was claiming otherwise it was only me and a very few others..

We can start off with the following thread where everyone and their brother makes fun of the OP for claiming TNTNHD is on the way: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=7079787&&#post7079787

You will find one person in the the thread saying that he believes it could easily be on the way, me..

Theres plenty of other threads out there disputing any chance of national HD before 2007, Im not gonna bother though..I already know who has a a valid point, and who is just trying to make someone look stupid for no good reason..

hancox said:
I think he means that LA locals would go away on MPEG2. Not out of the realm of possibility, but not until the HR20 is in wide usage.

Beyond the H20, would also need the lion's share of HR10-250's to be replaced.

hancox said:
But could they not be put on spot beams thereby freeing up CONUS transponders?

herdfan said:
But could they not be put on spot beams thereby freeing up CONUS transponders?

They already are on spot beams in mpeg4, both NY and LA.

Not sure if it was already mentioned, but they stay on MPEG2 CONUS because of being the DNS. So I assume they will stay until there is no longer a need for DNS or until the law says they can no longer be used. I for one just wish the entire DMA system would go away in favor of a end user friendly, wide open system where we could get everyting we wanted for a price. If you market a good affiliate, I will pay you, and 99 times out of 100 I will always buy my city's locals.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
Not sure if it was already mentioned, but they stay on MPEG2 CONUS because of being the DNS.
But they don't have to be the DNS. One of the ideas floated is to provide the nearest DMA to those who are truly in white areas. These areas could be covered by MPEG-4 spots.

I sure hope not. The Picture quality is already the worst of Any provider I know of. Add NG HD and it will be competing with my local PBSHD OTA station running 1HD + 3 full subchannels of SD programming for last place accross the board.

This is assuming that there are no, or will never be areas that are not covered by DMA spot beam footprints nor OTA.

vurbano said:
I sure hope not. The Picture quality is already the worst of Any provider I know of. Add NG HD and it will be competing with my local PBSHD OTA station running 1HD + 3 full subchannels of SD programming for last place accross the board.

My local PBS also added 3 subs and looks like crap now...Madison WI....and they used to have a great picture. Leave it to the Gov't to mess it up especially Madison's wacko crowd.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

How to find a local D* installer

HD DVR vs SD DVR on Plasma PQ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)