NASA TV ending on August 28

Ron_MNdish

Original poster
Dec 28, 2022
SE Minnesota
I saw an ticker on Galaxy 37 of the NASA TV feed saying the both feeds of the Public and Media channels are coming to the end on Wednesday, August 28th and will be available exclusively on the streaming platform NASA+. I wonder that will affect all those other channels on satellite? I won't want to bother with streaming the NASA+ platform nor tear down my dish!

I saw an ticker on Galaxy 37 of the NASA TV feed saying the both feeds of the Public and Media channels are coming to the end on Wednesday, August 28th and will be available exclusively on the streaming platform NASA+. I wonder that will affect all those other channels on satellite? I won't want to bother with streaming the NASA+ platform nor tear down my dish!
NASA TV shutting down this August

• Sad
Reactions: FTA4PA
Quite honestly, once the signal is gone, i cannot see me ever watching NASA again. Too bad.... I think its funny they say they want to give power to the minority, but not when it costs them money. I don't own a cell phone, and let me tell you what a pain that is sometimes with how companies are trying to force you to do things only through their mobile apps. Its not that i cannot afford a cell phone.. They just don't interest me. I have no need to be that connected to anyone.. To me, it is a type of LEASH. I'm retired.. I refuse to be leashed.

I must admit, I was really reluctant to get a cell. Until the SECOND time I broke down on the beltway and had to shanks mare it to a phone.

I must admit, I was really reluctant to get a cell. Until the SECOND time I broke down on the beltway and had to shanks mare it to a phone.

I'm a home-body.. But, also, we live in a small town.. So, around here, I'm never more than a 5 minute walk from someone that has phone capabilities. And a phone would cause me a lot more grief that it would relieve.

As a compromise, I still have a senior citizen flip phone. I really have no choice as landlines have not been available here for several years. I do sometimes need to take my phone while out around town and especially on vacations. I can text but need to keep it brief due to the nature of using the number buttons for the alphabet.
I see the frustration my friends go through with the smart phones and I very seldom need anything from the internet that can not wait until I get home or use hotel wifi.

Reactions: TRG and FTA4PA
I wonder how long that flip phone will work. I gather it is more than 3G- but LTE? Frequencies?

Courtesy of Rick's-

IMG_5021.jpeg

• Angry
Reactions: iBoston
Very expensive flip phones...they used to be dirt cheap
I got an iPhone 8 a couple years ago. Now they are only about $100 on eBay. I tend to buy used phones that are several generations older than the current model.

I don't understand why some people are willing to spend $1000+ on the newest iPhone?

Reactions: freddylq
Back to NASA TV...

I just checked the plus.nasa.gov website and now you can just select the show you want and watch it. This is an improvement IMO, because the C-Band NASA TV was random -- you never knew what was going to be on next, or how long the current show would last.

There is a Nasa TV app for android and ios, but unfortunately there is no app available that works on my Sony Bravia TV.

Last edited:
But if you live in the sticks and can't afford starlink you're pretty much screwed.

AT&T Internet Air just came to my town. $60/month for unlimited 5G wireless broadband. I just signed up tonight!

Quite honestly, once the signal is gone, i cannot see me ever watching NASA again. Too bad.... I think its funny they say they want to give power to the minority, but not when it costs them money. I don't own a cell phone, and let me tell you what a pain that is sometimes with how companies are trying to force you to do things only through their mobile apps. Its not that i cannot afford a cell phone.. They just don't interest me. I have no need to be that connected to anyone.. To me, it is a type of LEASH. I'm retired.. I refuse to be leashed.
iBoston,

I dont look at a cell phone as much as a social accessory, but rather a quick way to reach someone when away from home.
What if, God forbid, your driving or walking somewhere and you experience a sudden medical emergency.
Are you going to hope someone comes along to help or are you going to summon help yourself with the cellphone ?
I know of 2 people who were able to summon help with their cell phone when they experienced a medical emergency.
Both might not be here today without it.

John

Uniden Supra - is it garbage?

SES-1