Nag Screens!

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
I am getting very tired of a couple of nags screens that only seem to be worse with the latest software and menu update.
At the time of installation the technician insisted on connecting the HR-54 to wifi. I had rather not have it on the internet for several reasons. If I wanted internet TV I would have chosen another service. I went into the menu to "reset network" but did not finish the process which successfully turned off the wifi. I am constantly reminded that I need to reconnect.
I also feel that 720p looks better on my older, non-smart TV than 1080i especially on fast movements which can show horizontal streaks on 1080i. I am again often asked to check for the best picture which would put it back on 1080i.
If any members know how to stop all of this it would be appreciated. I am probably just using this post to vent my frustration but I feel that it is my TV and I am paying (dearly) for the service and I should be able to set up my system the way that I prefer.

I am getting very tired of a couple of nags screens that only seem to be worse with the latest software and menu update.
At the time of installation the technician insisted on connecting the HR-54 to wifi. I had rather not have it on the internet for several reasons. If I wanted internet TV I would have chosen another service. I went into the menu to "reset network" but did not finish the process which successfully turned off the wifi. I am constantly reminded that I need to reconnect.
I also feel that 720p looks better on my older, non-smart TV than 1080i especially on fast movements which can show horizontal streaks on 1080i. I am again often asked to check for the best picture which would put it back on 1080i.
If any members know how to stop all of this it would be appreciated. I am probably just using this post to vent my frustration but I feel that it is my TV and I am paying (dearly) for the service and I should be able to set up my system the way that I prefer.
Well it sure is nice when a storm or snow gets on my dish that I can still watch TV through streaming?

Reactions: Jimbo and Tom Speer
DirecTV Genies like the HR54 are designed to provide a number of features through the Internet. Any On Demand content comes that way. Verification that you successfully received updates goes through the internet. If you have a data limits in your data plan, just don't watch On Demand content and turn off Signalsaver. But you really should be connected to the Internet for your HR54 to function properly.

And the nag screens will stop.

Years ago, DirecTV receivers had to be connected to a telephone line to provide communication from Your receiver back to DIRECTV. Now it requires an Internet connection.

There are other things you could try that might "fool" the nag screen. If you know your way around your router and networking you could block internet access for the HR54 at the router, leaving it still connected via wifi - it just won't have internet. Another alternative if you don't know how to do that would be to change your wifi name, connect the HR54, then change your wifi name back to what it used to be. It'll be trying to connect to a wifi network that isn't there.

If the nag is "hey finish setting up networking" then one of these things might satisfy it, while still preventing your HR54 from accessing the internet.

DirecTV Genies like the HR54 are designed to provide a number of features through the Internet. Any On Demand content comes that way. Verification that you successfully received updates goes through the internet. If you have a data limits in your data plan, just don't watch On Demand content and turn off Signalsaver. But you really should be connected to the Internet for your HR54 to function properly.

And the nag screens will stop.

Years ago, DirecTV receivers had to be connected to a telephone line to provide communication from Your receiver back to DIRECTV. Now it requires an Internet connection.
OK, I entered my wifi password again to reconnect to the internet and found under "signal saver" in the menu the ability to "ask before switching to streaming".
The messages to "check for best picture quality" seemed to have stopped for now. Maybe that was just the result of the new software download.

Reactions: Tom Speer and AZ.

Directv costs

DirecTV Genie Redesigned Menus