MRV without Internet - Receivers don't see each other, had a few questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rockstead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Earth
So I have a SWM5 Dish and one line that comes in the house to a SWM8 switch, neither have green labels.

I attached two Decas to two of my HR23s, all the three lights on the Decas are green. Do I need to plug in the ethernet cables too, I did anyhow, I assume you do.

Now when I go in to Setup -> Whole House Setup, it tells me MVR is Authorized but no networked DVRs found.

Is there somethingspecial I have to do now, I know someone mentioned a certain way to reboot the machines to see the Decas.

I also bought the Band Filter just in case, most people said I wouldn't need one but I got it just in case, hohow will I know if I need it?

I won't be hooking this up to the internet.

Thanks!

Unplug the ethernet from the receivers/dvrs. IIRC, using ethernet cables disables the mrv, but I don't think it will work without the internet connected through the DECAs. Please, someone with more knowledge on this chime in if I am wrong. If you are referring to the bbc filters, you don't ever need them with the HR23s, or any other boxes in a swm setup. Did you use the search function to look on the site? There are diagrams posted on the correct setup.

It will work without the internet. I'm using just the ethernet cables without Deca but it should work either way. Like Raoul said you can't use both at the same time, one or the other.

You can use just the ethernet cables, but that method is unsupported by Directv. Like joed32 said, you can't use the DECAs at the same time.

It all works now, I'm not sure you understood what I was referring to, I'm using Decas but no Internet connection.

The Decas have one connection that goes to your satellite in and it also has an Ethernet port on it, so I connected the ethernet port on Deca to the ethernet port on the HR23 as well, not knowing if this is what you had to do.

Anyhow MRV started working on its own after about 10mis of being connected, no reboot necessary.

Rockstead,
You did all the right things. SWM uses your coax for its local area network. You need to do exactly what you did with connecting a wire from the DECA to your internet jack on your receiver. The DECA takes the network signal off the coax and injects it into the network port on your receiver. The H/HR24s have the DECA built in so that additional piece of equipment is not needed. Your SWM switch is your network "router" and the receivers basically use DHCP services to get their IP addresses. Sometime it takes unplugging everything and restarting from the switch to get things to work right. Somehow your system seems to have reconnected without the reboot.

You confused things a bit by saying you have a SWM5 dish and a SWM8 switch. Typically you do not have 2 SWM "router" units in a setup. I suspect you have a standard slimline 5 LNB dish connected to your SWM8 switch. Or you have a SWM5 dish and an 8-way splitter. Also it is preferred to have the green label for MRV, but I don't think it is essential.

Glad everything worked out for you.
Bob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hr20-100 SWM Connection Question

SWM3 signal strength flips between Not Acquired to 95%

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)