Status
Please reply by conversation.

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Well, like I told the Pub members my wife and I sold our house and are moving into a townhome for now. I have Directv and have already verified that I can get a view of the southern sky seeing as my soon to be next door neighbor has Directv and has the phase-III dish. The townhome has a small fenced in patio and yard. I can mount the dish on a pole and use the fence as leverage if needbe, already been told that by the landlord.

I'm not supposed to drill any holes into the townhome. What can I do to get the cable runs up to the second floor? I don't think I can tie them into the existing cabling

Its a shame you cant just zip tie the new cable to the old cable and use flat cable to get it in through windows or doors, it would be really easy to put everything back to the way you found it when you leave, good luck in your new home.

I could do that, but I have heard that flat cable isn't as good as RG6.

PSB, do you think what you suggested is the best option? I don't care how messy it looks I'm keeping Directv.

No, it isn't as good as RG6, but it is a means to an end.

Realistically, I have only seen those cable go out from repeated wear and tear in a patio door that opens and closes frequently. If you are going through a window, it might not be as bad. Just keep a few spares on hand "in case".

I couldn't find any flat cables to save my life, so I did this:

sill-install.jpg

I probably could make it even more flush and a bit more professional later (it's currently just a board between the window and the sill) but I just wanted to get everything working. When it's time to move, I just pull cables, throw away board, and close window like I was never there.

Of course, looking around the complex I couldn't help but notice the landlord mandated "you can't drill any holes in the building" didn't seem to be beholden to Comcast. All of their cable was drilled through the friggin brick everywhere I looked.

Since I need to mount the dish on a pole what size pole is required for the phase-3?

Thanks all for your help! I'm still trying to figure out how to get this to the second floor. :)

My phase 3 is

1 and 5/8 of an inch..

I am not sure if this is the "standard" for most masts, but it was the same as the 4 year old single dish.

What does your deck rail look like? Maybe you can secure the mount with some car tie down straps to make it a little more secure so it does not blow around in the wind.

Congratulations on selling the house and good luck during the "transition" period!

I've been told by our new landlord that I can't physically attach the dish to the fence that goes around our private patio, but I can use the fence as leverage to help keep the pole in place.

The most important part of searching for a new apartment/townhouse was finding one that I could have my dish. :D

Just dig a hole 12-18 inches deep and round.

Center the pole, fill around it with a bag concrete.

When you move just dig up the pole and back fill with top soil.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

is something happening up there?

Samsung HD PVR (DVR)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)