Movie Ratings

Notrightfly

Original poster
May 4, 2005
Who exactly does the "star" movie ratings for Dish? Originally I would record movies with the higher ratings, but I've learned those ratings shouldn't be used to determine whether a movie is any good or not. Nor do I see any kind of standard or basis for the rating each movie is given.

Is this just me?

Critics have rated this movie by the stars. 3 stars and up means the critics like it , which doesn't always mean that the movie will be one you will like. Critics often like movies that the general public don't care for. But still it gives you an idea of what the movie might be like.

I really would like it if Dish would add the genre of the movie , like Comedy, Drama, Sci- Fi etc. IF you were in the mood for a good comedy, you could just look at the information on the movie and know whether you want to watch it or not. The descriptions they use , don't always give you enough to know whether it is even going to be a comedy or drama etc.

The stars ratings for say 75% closely follow Leonard Maltin's book 1 to 4 stars, maybe from .5, but some are up to 1.5* different.

I am using the Internet Movie Data Base <http://www.imdb.com/> to get their ratings 1 to 10 stars or about guide+4 -- top is 9.0 for Godfather and you do not want to go below about 6.

I'm using the Top 250 list of to collect a lot of DVD+R recordings. With commercial recordings I'm better than 1/2 to 2/3 of the way there. Searching weekly on the 921 takes up to an hour for about 100 tries, half on the one-item search.

Do the NBR recorders allow more than 100 items?

-Ken

942 questions

PPV while tailgating

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)