Moved into Condo with shared dish! HELP!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lclark425

Original poster
Nov 4, 2004
I recently moved into a condo with a dish that everyone shares. I was told that I could just go and buy a receiver, which I got one from Best Buy, and just call Directv and have it activated. But when I have tried installing it, I can only get a signal on the odd transponders. Two people from Directv have come out to look at it and they have both ended up telling me that I just need to contact my property mangager and find out who did the original installation of the dish. When I did that, they just told me to call Directv. I am hoping that this is something easy that I can fix, because no one else seems to know how to help me.

If all the other residents on that same dish are fine, then I would try another receiver you know works (maybe one other the other residents) or another brand or model receiver.

Was it cloudy/rainy? if so this may be the problem
Try exchanging the box at best buy.
donot use splitters or try to run the satellite signal through the vcr!

That condo system is probably stacked, meaning that the even transponders have been moved up in frequency and then piggybacked onto the same coax line. On your end you need a destacker to bring the evens back down so that your receiver can use them. The receivers that the others are using have a destacker builtin.

I'm surprised, well not really, that the DirecTV guys didn't think of this.

It's not the weather. I can't return it to Best Buy, and if I don't get it activated by Saturday, Directv is going to attempt to charge me $150.

Are the other people on the shared dish working?

Ask them what wodel they have or where they got the de-stacker if that is needed (if they know) or if they know the installer. If you have others working on that shared dish, they will be a wealth of knowledge.

DirecTV D-10 and Hughes SD-HBH both have destackers built in. If you do not have one of these models you can always call D* and have them ship you one to replace the one you have and not incur the non-activation fee.

Try to get it returned. If you call best buy and directv bring it back in its original box with all recipts and return it.

Then call 1800directv and have a pro installer hook it up.

Uplink said:
Then call 1800directv and have a pro installer hook it up.

Careful ... not sure about your area, but in the MN and surrounding states the HSP installers know nothing about L-Band (stacked) systems and will kick the job telling you to call the L-Band system's servicer. On several occasions we have had to go undo what the HSPs have done when bypassing our system to serve their customer, taking out the balance of active subs in the building.

FWIW!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Problems with 2 receivers

CSN-Chicago & Altitude both up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)