Money channels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

igator99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
We have what? Five religious channels on DirecTV? I'm a believer but I never watch these religious channels. I go to mass on Sunday and see it all in HD. Why wouldn't DirecTV kick these channels in favor of more HD channels or is it because they get a big payday out of it?

igator99 said:
We have what? Five religious channels on DirecTV? I'm a believer but I never watch these religious channels. I go to mass on Sunday and see it all in HD. Why wouldn't DirecTV kick these channels in favor of more HD channels or is it because they get a big payday out of it?
Actually we have all these shopping and religious channels (other than the people who want them) because you have to look at the bigger picture.
The people that own these channels also own many other channels, so the owner of said shopping channel says if you want to be able to carry ESPN (just an example, I have no idea as to actually own the unwanted channels) then we have 2 shopping and 1 religuos channels we want you to cary as well, the main channels could be anything BIG, HBO, Showtime , whatever......

That is how we get channels many don't want to see.

It happens in all all programming providers, Sat, Dish and cable as well as FIOS

Jimbo

I thought that these stations were considered public interest must carry by the FCC.

johnml said:
Public interest ? Does the FCC mandate religous & shopping ? Wish they would regulate more HI-DEF:( :confused: :mad:

Shopping channels were never pointed out in the original post.

JAG72 said:
Shopping channels were never pointed out in the original post.
I see that after I re read the post, I am presuming he was refering to any channels that most would consider not heavily watched channels....

I don't ever knock the religious channels because I am sure there are many families and religious couples who watch quite a bit. I actually encourage DirecTV to expand some of their religious channel offerings for some other age groups. With JCTV by TBN, Smile of a Child by TBN, and several others, I don't see how it's that unreasonable a goal.

These are the first channels I block out. If ala carte was offered im sure these types of channels would dry up and blow away. To bad we all get stuck paying for it.

I have always considered ESPN, ESPN2, MLB EI and NFL ST my religious channels.
Saturday's and Sundays in the fall!! Priceless!!

DBSOgre said:
I don't ever knock the religious channels because I am sure there are many families and religious couples who watch quite a bit. I actually encourage DirecTV to expand some of their religious channel offerings for some other age groups. With JCTV by TBN, Smile of a Child by TBN, and several others, I don't see how it's that unreasonable a goal.

Would you rather get the voom channels are a Jimmy Swaggart wannabe? I get my relgion the old fashion way through church and prayer.

LOL. Good point, but I think most religious channels are really dirt cheap to carry and some even pay for carriage like a few people said. I definitely want the entire Voom suite on DirecTV. I get the feeling DirecTV has it locked up IF the 60 national channels next year statement is true. Look at Dish Network with all they have, and they only have 30. I know a LOT of cable channels are probably launching HD, but there would have to be like 40 channels to equal out to 60 channels, even when including East and West HD feeds for premium channels.

Most of these channels pay to be on Dish/Direct. Doesn't cost Dish/Direct much to pick them up because they are in the clear on C-Band or KU so they dont need descramblers.

Our local cable company has 5 religious channels. And they have far fewer channels than Dish or Direct :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dns

HD Locals in Buffalo?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts