Moar! Another Sat, another receiver, new LNB etc (questions post)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Eduardito

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
San Juan, Puerto Rico
This is a noob questions post, it might get annoying

I finally got Hispasat working after months of having given up. I put in a new antenna and brought in a professional and in the end it was the LNB. I am blown away. The signal is crisp and clear and the content is great.

The Microyal MRX-1000 is humble but dignified and it's working excellently.

I am at 00927 in Puerto Rico.

So I have an antenna that is doing nothing on the roof right now and I was wondering if there was something I could get on it. It's small, I have enclosed pictures.

Here's how my roof is looking. One is Hispasat the other Dish Network, that will help with orientation. Here's how my different lines of sight look.

The one that is doing nothing is the one that is by itself. It's the old one DTV used in PR, it's bigger than the current one.

What I would like to know is if theres another satellite I could get without much difficulty. If it had Spanish programming even better.

My second question is what would be the best LNB to put on the Hispasat dish to get signal to two receivers. My dad wants my Microyal in his room already (he's not getting it).

That brings me to my other request, which is a new receiver. I want to keep my Microyal and get a new box for dad since his TV is better than mine. I was hoping to find something that would do HD and incorporate the OTA signal as well. I got the OTA tuner for my Vip722 and my fahter ends up watched local channels more than anything else.

That's good advice, thank you.

I think I'm going with an OpenBox S10, and I'll try to get Venesat on the second antenna.

I am getting way less channels on my Microyal from Hispasat than the Lyngsat indicates. I think it might be the receiver. I will try it out once I get the Openbox.

That brings me to my other request, which is a new receiver.
I want to keep my Microyal and get a new box for dad since his TV is better than mine.
I was hoping to find something that would do HD and incorporate the OTA signal as well.
I got the OTA tuner for my Vip722 and my father ends up watched local channels more than anything else.
If your Dad has a modern TV with a built-in HD tuner, that is probably the better solution.
Trying to find an FTA receiver with built-in OTA tuner would limit your satellite receiver choices severely.

...So I have an antenna that is doing nothing on the roof right now and I was wondering if there was something I could get on it.
It's small, I have enclosed pictures.
The one that is doing nothing is the one that is by itself.
It's the old one DTV used in PR, it's bigger than the current one.
I've seen a dish used by DirecTV in Mexico.
If it is similar, that should be very nice for FTA.
Please measure the height and width of the reflector, and tell us.
It probably has a circular LNBF, so you might need to change to a linear type.
Two you could try are Galaxy Marketing ESX-522, and SatelliteAV SL2 bullet.
Both have dual outputs.
I would get one of each, and run my own comparison test.

I figured that getting a receiver with the OTA tuner is moot, he has an HD Tv and the DISH has the OTA tuner as well, I don't know what that idea was all about.

I already replaced the bracket and LNB on the old DTV dish. I will try to find Venesat on it since I could never get Hispasat and ended up installing a new antenna for Hispasat. Thank you for the advice. I dropped off the LNB at the store so they can check if it works or not.

I think that when I get the OpenBox it will be easier to find the satellites than with the Microyal. The installer guy is nice enough but I think I can do it myself I think.

Recevied the OpenBox S10 yesterday and I am very impressed. It didn't have Hispasat listed but it was easy to add and add channels. Got 2 more spanish channels than on the Microyal and a lot more non-spanish channels. Good box and great price.

Going to pick up a replacement LNB to try to capture Venesat on the old DTV antenna.

The store replaced the bad LNB and I put it on the old DTV dish and pointed towards Venesat, I got hit on my first try. I added combined that signal with the Hispasat and sent it down to the Openbox S10, now I have around 30 channels in spanish.

Im still figuring out how to add channels on the openbox, sometimes when i scan in different ways I manage to capture some channels I didnt on the first sweep.

I think I can add 2 more antennas or 1 antenna for 2 satellites. I was thinking about SatMex 5 and 6, with a 6 footer I could get both.

Congratulations on your success so far.
You seem to be making excellent progress. - :up

If you need any ideas for feeding multiple LNBFs to two or more receivers, check out the Switches Simplified FAQ.
This post in the FAQ describes an inexpensive switch setup for eight LNBFs and up to four receivers.

edit:
...I already replaced the bracket and LNB on the old DTV dish. ..
We're always interested in clever solutions and new ideas.
Many folks have come up with so many creative bracket solutions.
Please show us a few pictures of what you did.

And also provide the measurements of that DTV dish, if you would. ;)
I'm curious to know how it compares to the ones they use in Mexico.

Last edited:
These are huge. About 4 feet I think. They replaced them with smaller ones a couple of years later. I just bought the part to put the LNB in. I was glad to get some use out of that Dish and the post that i had fixed to the wall for it. When I switched to Dsh we tried using the same one but we couldnt.

Thanks for the link, it's great.

I will definitely add 2 more. I am very happy with the results so far.

If anyone can suggest which 2 sats should be next, im looking for suggestions. I'm mostly looking for spanish content, that's why I'm thinking about SatMex 5 & 6 on one more antenna.

I think SatMex 5 & 6, C band, would be a good choice for spanish content. Don't think it would be a problem on a 6 ft dish from your location. I have to quote Anole:"Congratulations on your success so far."

I don't usually like to complicate people's lives, and this may do it, but . . .
We have a dish setup here we call a mini-bud.
It means BUD (big ugly dish) which is used for C-band signals, but based on a too-small dish.
Usually, a four foot dish is about the minimum, and of course it won't get all the C-band signals.

I'm not really the right person to suggest this, because I'm not familiar with Spanish programming, nor do I have a mini-BUD, nor do I know the signals strengths in your area.
HOWEVER, let's not let that get in the way! ;)

If you could use sites like SatStar , Lyngsat, and some advice from friendly members here on the forum, you might put together a list of C-band satellites to try with your four foot dish.
I'm not promising anything, and if you can locate a real BUD locally, say 7 or 8 feet across , I'm sure that would be a much better idea.
You'll need a C-band LNBF, and I'd strongly suggest the C2 from SatelliteAV (top of this page).
It's inexpensive, has two outputs, and performs quite well.

Just something to think about.

PS: (oops, you're already there! ) ;)
Oh, and for Ku, have you considered 30° west?
Lot of -new- American movies in English, with Spanish subtitles.
Plus lots of Spanish language shows.
I'm too far west to get it, but it's one of the things I lust for. - :cool:

Last edited:
Yes Hispasat is on the first Antenna here:

dscn0687n.jpg

What I wonder now is if a 6 footer fits between the the second and third antenna (L to R):

dscn0692s.jpg

If I can get one in there and capture SatMex 5, 6 and Galaxy 19, it would be great.

Then I would have to figure out the Diseq setup.

Eduardito the t12 have good spanich channels from puerto rico one music chille one brazil two frequencies same channel name pampa one from angola in portugues close to spanich and some more spanich and nbc english but did you need one more dish like the one for the hispansat the small one no good for free to air .For the satmex need biguer dish for galaxi 19 ku need 36 inch dish.I see one 6ft on the picture are good for satmex and to many spanich channels

Last edited:
I am considering adding a 6 footer for Satmex 5 and 6 and Galaxy 10. The problem I am facing now is that the roof is at an angle where I am putting the satellites and I can't drill on the flat part. I am considered a non penetration base for the 6 foot dish.

I was wondering if I am going to have to switch to a 8 way Diseqc or if theres a way to add the 3 now LNBs to the 4 way one, maybe cascading or something to that effect.

Regarding switching:
Are you still wanting all the satellites to be available to two receivers?
Or some to one receiver , and all to the other receiver?

You can add LNBFs to existing dishes to pick up another satellite, as long at their signal is strong.
Also, if the new satellite is too far from the main bird, then the signal drops off a lot.
If the new satellite is too near the main bird, you may have trouble fitting the new LNBF so close to the original one.
The focal length of the dish, the size of your LNBFs, your longitude, latitude, and where the satellites are in the sky (overhead or near the horizon) all effect how well you will do. :up

I just have it set up to one receiver now. I think I will stick with one receiver as I don't have anyone else that is interested on the programming at my home other than my dad.

I already have a 4 to 1 Diseqc but I will probably have to go to 8 to 1 if I add SatMex 5, 6 and Galaxy 19. I just want to get it working on concept on a dish I already have before purchasing a 6 footer to get those C Band channels.

I just have it set up to one receiver now. I think I will stick with one receiver as I don't have anyone else that is interested on the programming at my home other than my dad.

I already have a 4 to 1 Diseqc but I will probably have to go to 8 to 1 if I add SatMex 5, 6 and Galaxy 19. I just want to get it working on concept on a dish I already have before purchasing a 6 footer to get those C Band channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DVBdream/Prof7301/WinXP timer freezes

can't get DMX 741U to work on c-band. Please help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)