Please reply by conversation.

bobvick

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Northwest Alabama
I am trying to decide which meter would be the best to use for FTA. I am looking at the Lexium 7100 or Birdog 4 USB Plus. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Check reviews on the Birddog meter. I have seen mixed reviews from professional installers. The Lexium is a lot cheaper, is new to market, and might just be what you are looking for.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair using SatelliteGuys

I am trying to decide which meter would be the best to use for FTA. I am looking at the Lexium 7100 or Birdog 4 USB Plus. Does anyone have any suggestions?

If you haven't already you might check out the First Strike FS1 meter, I've found it to be easy to use for FTA setup.

Super SatBuddy........ I have sampled and tested about every satellite meter out there and this meter cannot be beat!

Accurate, tuff as nails and an excellent company that goes the second mile to provide excellent customer support.

Yeah, I would like to get a Super Buddy, but since I am just going to use it for a hobby, I don't really want to put $700-$800 in one though. If I used it all the time i would definitely look at getting one.

Well, I haven't tried them all and I'm sure there are some that do more stuff, but since I'm not a pro, I selected the First Strike FS1 for several reasons.

Sensible price [under $200].
Supplies lnb power and 0/22 KHZ switching.
Able to read it in the brightest direct sunlight.
No need to drag receiver and monitor out to the dish.
Built like a tank.
Hangs around your neck leaving hands free.
Comes with stored birds and tps or program 100 of your favorites.

Watch out for clones and wannabes though.
SS ><>

Last edited:
Does the First Strike do like the Lexium 7100 does, where it shows you the satellite that you are on as you are scanning (moving the dish from e to w)?

No, the FS1 reads to sat-specific info. Store your gps coordinates and it gives the look angle [AZ, EL, skew] for the sat you're looking for, then reacts when you find the bird, tp, and freq with sig, Q, BER, SNR. I have seen other meters that do lots more stuff, even display the tv channel picture, but you can't see the thing in the sun. Being able to see what I was doing without having to shade the meter is a biggie for me.

SS ><>

Yeah, I would like to get a Super Buddy, but since I am just going to use it for a hobby, I don't really want to put $700-$800 in one though. If I used it all the time i would definitely look at getting one.

Cost wise I paid $168.00 for my FS1 with free shipping from SatPro

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Question about wiring, and pole for C-Band dish

HELP! Can't download from satellite guys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)