Malone leaves Cablevision

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
John Malone resigned as director of Cablevision, the media company run by Charles "Chuck" Dolan, citing concerns of a possible conflict of interest between his position there and his job as chairman of Liberty Media.

Mr Malone made the decision on Monday, Cablevision said in a regulatory filing on Wednesday. The filing pointed out that both Cablevision and Liberty Media own programming assets.

Source

riffjim4069 said:
No big loss since he was the hired gun to help stand up VOOM HD prior to their getting out of the DBS business.

and what a good job he done promoting hd, voted to shut down voom, also corrected me if i am wrong but isnt he also one for the reasons there is not longer an encore HD channel

I believe you're correct on Encore HD...and it was probably our favorite Va Va VOOM channel. I wonder how many millions Malone was paid to chew the fat and play golf with Dolan Sr.? Well, it's back to the grinder so I can earn my $2.37 an hour - ugh!

Malone's Cablevision Exit May Be a Signal
09:11 a.m. 06/09/2005

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050609/ap_on_bi_ge/malone_cablevision_1

DENVER, Jun 09, 2005 (AP Online via COMTEX) -- The official reason given Wednesday for cable mogul John Malone's departure from the board of Cablevision Systems Corp. was that he could avoid any perception of conflict of interest.

Malone resigned from the cable TV company's board on Monday, indicating "he was resigning to avoid any potential concerns that could arise from his being a director of (Cablevision) and Liberty Media Corp., each of which owns programming companies," according to a Securities and Exchange Commission filing.

Malone is the chairman and chief executive of Englewood, Colo.-based Liberty Media, which has interests in cable channels such as Discovery, Court TV and the QVC shopping network.

But some analysts speculate that Malone's departure might be a sign of partnerships to come.

"Strategically, it could be that (Cablevision's) Rainbow is contemplating some kind of partnership with Liberty Media in which there would be a conflict of interest," said Oppenheimer senior analyst Thomas Eagan.

Rainbow Media Holdings, a subsidiary of Bethpage, N.Y.-based Cablevision, owns several cable channels, including American Movie Classics and WE: Women's Entertainment.

Eagan said Rainbow could get folded into some of Liberty Media's networks, "as Cablevision tries to create more value for its Rainbow networks."

Specifically, Rainbow assets could be combined with Liberty's 50 percent stake in Discovery and QVC, which are to be spun out in a separate stock, he said.

Another analyst, who asked not to be named, agreed there might be some behind-the-scenes dealmaking behind Malone's exit, but noted that Malone "had planned to be on Cablevision's board for only a short time."

Malone had joined Cablevision's board in March, in the midst of a battle between Cablevision founder and chairman Charles Dolan and his son, Cablevision CEO James Dolan, over the money-losing satellite TV service Voom.

The senior Dolan brought in Malone and former Viacom Inc. chief Frank Biondi, hoping new board members would save Voom. In April, Cablevision said it was shutting down the satellite TV service.

A spokeswoman for Cablevision declined further comment and Liberty Media officials couldn't be reached Wednesday.

Discovery HD

That's right. I'd forgotten they have an ownership interest in the Discovery Channel. So why the heck don't we have Discovery HD then? Heck, we even had it with Voom.

Anyone on the inside have any inside info on this one? I miss my Discovery HD. That's my only major complaint with the service so far.

The Rickster

Dolan: Ignore Rainbow ‘Speculation’

Source

New York -- Cablevision Systems CEO James Dolan shot down a connection between John Malone’s decision to leave its board and any speculation about selling Rainbow.

termination caps

Motorola DCT-6412 Working Better Now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)