Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
I started using my new (new to me anyway) Microyal MRX-1000 this weekend. I have it connected to an old PrimeStar dish with the LNBF that has discrete V and H outputs, using a multiswitch with 13V for vertical and 18V for horizontal.

So far, I have used this setup to view channels on Echostar 9 (121) where the dish was originally pointed, AMC4 (101), and IA-5 (97). I am very impressed so far but manual positioning is the pits, I guess I need a motor. At least the PrimeStar dish seems to have a big "sweet spot" so it's not that difficult to aim.

I'm at 88W so the closest "true south" satellite is AMC3 (87) which is currently behind a tree. There's another tree blocking Galaxy 10R (123). I am going to have to do a site survey to see if I can put the dish somewhere else, or trim some trees, as I think these two have the bulk of what I would actually want to watch on a regular basis (English language programming, distant locals and PBS).

I can see why FTA is not mainstream, because it's not nearly as intuitive as the less-flexible systems which are tied to a specific provider such as E*. Still, I'd like to be able to eventually make this easy enough to use so that my wife can see the benefit.

Now I have some questions because the MRX-1000 user guide is sparse on details and the Microyal website doesn't add much:

- What is the newest/best (legal) software for this machine and where do I (legally) get it? I gather that I can connect the unit to a PC with a null modem 9-pin serial cable but what abilities does that provide?

- Is there an easier way to program the details of each satellite than using the remote control to enter all the frequencies, symbol rates and polarities by hand? Is this the function of "blind scan" and why receivers with that feature are popular?

- It supports up to 16 antennae with DiSEqC. How? Are DiSEqC 4x1 switches cascadable such that four of them could sit behind the one that attaches to the receiver?

- How do I add a DBS LNBF to the setup so I can pull the (legal) free stuff from the Nimiq and E* satellites? Is this another application of DiSEqC? Or do I need that fancy new LNBF that does both Ku-FTA and DBS?

- What would be the best value for a motorized mount that will fit the PrimeStar dish?

Lastly, this does nothing for my DVR addiction. As I see it there are a couple of solutions for this.
- Get an expensive FTA receiver (are there any?) that have DVR capability.
- Get an FTA PCI card and build a media center PC. (does windows media center edition support FTA?)

These are all the questions I can think of right now, I'm sure there will be others.

I'm by no means an expert, but I'll answer what questions I can from here :D

Pepper said:
I started using my new (new to me anyway) Microyal MRX-1000 this weekend. I have it connected to an old PrimeStar dish with the LNBF that has discrete V and H outputs, using a multiswitch with 13V for vertical and 18V for horizontal.

That's clever and very simple, I never would have though of that, but it should work great... simple multi-switch, and just assign all V to POS1, and all H to POS2. Spiffy!

Pepper said:
I can see why FTA is not mainstream, because it's not nearly as intuitive as the less-flexible systems which are tied to a specific provider such as E*. Still, I'd like to be able to eventually make this easy enough to use so that my wife can see the benefit.

You'll get there! ;) What started out as an annoying, ugly hobby now gives my wife the TV she watches, both in the living room and bedroom (other than OTA, all we use is FTA). I set up my Home Theatre PC so she can use it by remote; it's just like a STB.

Pepper said:
- Is there an easier way to program the details of each satellite than using the remote control to enter all the frequencies, symbol rates and polarities by hand? Is this the function of "blind scan" and why receivers with that feature are popular?

Exactly. Blind scan is just that; it scans all the frequencies and saves trasponder and channel information as it stumbles across them. Otherwise, you're stuck either having to enter them all manually by remote, or (in some cases) transferring channel lists from your pc to STB via serial cable.

Pepper said:
- How do I add a DBS LNBF to the setup so I can pull the (legal) free stuff from the Nimiq and E* satellites? Is this another application of DiSEqC? Or do I need that fancy new LNBF that does both Ku-FTA and DBS?

Most of us (myself included) just slap a DBS lnbf on right next to our linear Ku lnb. You'll have to adjust the dish 5 degrees or so over to compensate when utilizing it. Yes, a Diseqc switch can be used (again, I do it here) to switch from using the linear Ku or DBS lnbf. In your case, if you're using a 3*1 (if there is such a thing) or a 4*1 Diseqc switch, adding a dbs lnb will be a peice of cake.

Pepper said:
Lastly, this does nothing for my DVR addiction. As I see it there are a couple of solutions for this.
- Get an expensive FTA receiver (are there any?) that have DVR capability.
- Get an FTA PCI card and build a media center PC. (does windows media center edition support FTA?)

As I mentioned earlier, I use a Home Theater PC (homemade) with a Twinhan 102g DVB card in it. It's cheap, works pretty well, and allows me (or the wife!) to record anything straight to hard drive by just hitting a button on the remote. Windows Media Center is somewhat supported, if you install certain BDA drivers, but I just use MyTheatre. It's user-friendly, easy to set up, and the Twinhan remote works fine with it. It does cost $30 or so, though. As far as an STB doing DVR, I've heard rumours (no doubt others will pipe up and fill in here) of new FTA boxes with DVR capability. If they aren't available yet, I'd guess they aren't far off.

Congrats on the success you've had so far, and welcome to the fun of FTA! :D

Pepper said:
- What is the newest/best (legal) software for this machine and where do I (legally) get it? I gather that I can connect the unit to a PC with a null modem 9-pin serial cable but what abilities does that provide?
I think that software is the most current (sadly)

- It supports up to 16 antennae with DiSEqC. How? Are DiSEqC 4x1 switches cascadable such that four of them could sit behind the one that attaches to the receiver?
each satellite in the setup would be for the motorized setup. You can use a DiseQc switch if you have some fixed dishes.
get a LNB and a 2x1 or 4x1 DiseQc switch :)

Does a E* DP21 count as a 2x1 DiSEqC switch? I'm betting not, there's something nonstandard going on, though DP is supposedly DiSEqC compatible.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTA Programming

T-Pod Review.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)