Looks like It’s official Directv Buying Dish

Wait...you get a retiree discount from DIRECTV?
After your contract ages out, there are various discounts available. I suspect the Retiree Discount is one form of that. I have to call up every year and negotiate for a "Loyalty Discount". it ranges from $30 to $50 a month. I have to negotiate for it each year. Threatening to switch to streaming helps. But I don't ask for any technical service from them. I align my own dish, replace cables snd connectors periodically, etc. I have been a customer for 14 years on the current account and the only truck roll I have had after the initial installation was when I ordered a C61K 4K client, and they insisted on a tech coming out to install it. I currently get The Entertainment package plus Sports Pack (to get ESPN, ACCN, RSNs without Pro games, and other college sports) for well under $100 a month.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
If I understand this deal correctly, if Charlie's wireless business is successful, TPG will be repaid on the debt they assumed and basically end up getting Dish for $1 plus all the interest on the debt...basically paid to take Dish.

If they have to write off the debt, they'll put the company through bankruptcy and still have all the assets?

From a technical side, if and when the merger is completed, Dish will gain three transponders at 110W and 11 transponders at 119.
There is no reason other than competitive blocking for Directv to not sublease or rent the KU space to Echostar/Dish today.

I'd watch for the end of this month when the bondholders either have to fight or accept their 1.5+ billion haircut.
After that date, Directv will be starting actions to protect their investment in Dish- pending federal approval for the sale of the actual streaming services.

After your contract ages out, there are various discounts available. I suspect the Retiree Discount is one form of that. I have to call up every year and negotiate for a "Loyalty Discount". it ranges from $30 to $50 a month. I have to negotiate for it each year. Threatening to switch to streaming helps. But I don't ask for any technical service from them. I align my own dish, replace cables snd connectors periodically, etc. I have been a customer for 14 years on the current account and the only truck roll I have had after the initial installation was when I ordered a C61K 4K client, and they insisted on a tech coming out to install it. I currently get The Entertainment package plus Sports Pack (to get ESPN, ACCN, RSNs without Pro games, and other college sports) for well under $100 a month.

Must be something new as far as i knew DTV didn't give discounts for being an ole fart:coco:eeek. if there so worried about discounts then there prob better off calling in and threatening to cancel. that will more than like have a better return than some senior discounts
Yeah I have two loyalty discounts at the moment. One is $30 per month for 24 months with about 4 months left on it and the other is $40 per month for 12 months that I am on the last month of. I have just never heard of anyone getting a retiree discount.

Yeah I have two loyalty discounts at the moment. One is $30 per month for 24 months with about 4 months left on it and the other is $40 per month for 12 months that I am on the last month of. I have just never heard of anyone getting a retiree discount.

They're giving you $70/mo off? :imshocked

there giving us 110.00 off for two years. after i called in all irate about PQ pixelating audio being out of sync. i told em to cancel and the deals started flying out after it took em 4 years to figure out what was going on!!! i told em that it had to be a connection between them and the stations. funny how that flew over there heads!!! or they just chose to ignore it

Hopper 381